• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

If a dog's reaction can be a barometer...

brotymo

for the quality of a food, I have found a great one.
Since bringing Bandit home the end of July, he has had 4 different foods. He came home on Eukanuba. I switched him to Canidae. Then I found Canidae had sold out to Diamond manufacturing, so I switched to Eagle Pack Holistic Select Lamb and Rice. That is running low, so I decided to try Taste of the Wild's Wetland formula (duck and something or other in it). Well, from the minute I got the bag out of the car, Bandit was trying to rip it open. I gave him a little (have to switch slowly, so he won't get tummy problems) and he inhaled it. He was trying to stick his head in the bag for more. He LOVES it! He keeps running over to the bin I keep the food in and looking at me desperately (and he has the Eagle Pack food in his bowl, so it isn't just plain hunger driving him) I have never seen him act like that except when I give him real meat.

Hi,
I hate to rain on your parade, but i think Taste of the Wild is also manufactured by Diamond. When you check both websites in the section FAQ: "Where are your foods made?" both companies list the same locations word for word. :shifty: And the headquarters for Taste of the Wild is Meta, Missouri which is where one of Diamond's manufacturing plants is.
I used to feed my Riley Taste of the Wild's Pacific Stream formula and he loved it, but i didn't want to stick with Diamond foods. I ended up switching to Wellness Whitefish and Sweet Potato (which he adores).
I just thought i would give you that info. for your own investigation.

well crap...diamond is like a huge monopoly! Dog foods sure don't like to associate with their name, either. They keep their websites seperate and different looking. Perhaps the reason Bandit likes it so much is it is completely grain-free. I've never given him a grain-free food before.
Guess I will have to give something else a try. I just don't trust their manufacturing after all the recalls.

You might try Innova EVO - they are also grainless. The first time I brought home the EVO red meat you would have thought I was holding an actual steak. Mine both love it!

Most smaller food companies are owned, or probably will eventually be owned, by a larger one these days, it seems -- it is just the way these things go. Same has happened in cosmetics for example. I don't think they set up separate sites to fool buyers -- it is likely more that it is seen as desireable for the individual company to retain its own brand identity. And often it is a separately run subsidiary with its own manufacturing site and management etc. If you have questions about the manufacturing process, why not contact the brand through its website.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the suggestions and information! It helps to be a more informed consumer!

Back