• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

eating grass instead of food?

Katelyn

My pup was scratching to get out and as soon as I opened the door she started eating grass,I called her back in and she ignored me and coninued eating it. When I finally got her in I put her food dish down and she ignored it which shes also never done before. Then when i picked her up her stomach was making lots of gurgling and groaning sounds and she was acting a bit of...does anyone have any idea whats wrong with her?I rang the vet an he said she probably just has an upset stomach and call back if anything else happens but Im still worried..is it just a bit of an upset stomach that will pass/Iv put her in her bed to sleep and put her food and water beside her

I hope by now Scarlett is feeling better. If they have a tummy upset, dogs do eat grass, and keep off their food for a bit - giving their tummy a rest until it feels better! The tummy grumbling is usually just that the stomach is empty. They usually just sleep it off - but go back to the vet if Scarlett isn't any better in the morning, or develops other symptoms overnight.

Kate and Oliver (who has twice swallowed peach stones and got a very sore tummy! Eventually they came out the other end, with no ill effects...)

I wouldn't worry about it right now. Eating grass, as Kate mentioned, is just the dog's way of helping their tummy settle. I've had Bandit get such a loud, grumbly tummy, he was being startled by it! He also wouldn't eat. it wound up he had a bit of an upset tummy. He had one bout of diarhea and then the grumbling stopped and he was fine. Hopefully yours isn't anything more serious.

I think many cavaliers eat grass, I have heard it before. Molly also eats it, along with black berries, raspberries etc. In the beginning I tried to prevent it, but now I just let her "graze" if she wants to. She has only been sick once, so now we just joke about her being 1/2 dog, 1/4 cat (stubborn and independent) and 1/4 cow...

Eating grass is the first sign that Mika's sick. She'll ring frantically to go out and eat away. She doesn't want to eat food, but I've also learned to hold her off food anyway when her tummy's upset or she'll just puke it up and take longer to feel better.

I always used to try to stop her from eating it, but I've learned that she actually seems to feel better quicker if I let her eat it, even if she sometimes pukes it up. Maybe that's what she needs to feel better.

Any time mine have noisy stomachs they go for grass. They all also like eating it generally if they are at the park but they definitely eat it in the same situation yours did. I always let them eat what they want.

Mine love grass too and often nibble the long grass that grows in the pots in back garden. It's not ornamental - the pots were intended for flowers but grass and weeds grew there instead. Since the rest of my garden is paved I haven't the heart to deprive my pups of their daily graze. :D

I give mine lettuce when he starts to eat grass - I don't want to risk that they get any chemicals that might have run over from next door.

I'll just wash and shred up a bit of romaine and put it in a bowl

Grazing

Loads of dags eat grass - there are two main reasons for it; grass contains some trace eliments that are good for them (and they wouldn't get in the "wild") and also to settle a sore belly. Grass is mostly indigestible to dogs (it's very high in cellulose, which is very difficult to break down) so insinctively they eat it in excess to cause vomiting or diahorroea - baisicly to clear out whatever is causing the sore belly. It's usually harmless (unless, like asherotter31 mentioned, it's got chemicals on it) and even if it doesn't cause something come from either end it settles their stomach (a bit like humans take indigestion tablets!)

Back