• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is he too young for a harness?

mounie

Hello dear friends, my Nicki 5 months old and he adores to take a walk outdoor, he is very enthusiastic and looks around to check everything, what a cutie:) I was wondering if he can already wear a harness, his current collar is soft, anyway i am afraid he can get a sore throat, as he always wants to run ahead :dogwlk:

Greetings from Italy
Chiara :lotsaluv:

Hi there Chiara,

I don't think they are ever too young for a harness, just make sure you get a good fitting one as you don't want your little puo to wriggle out of it.

Kirsty

Harness

There are puppy harnesses available at some pet stores, they are adjustable so that the harness can grow with the puppy! And when they get too big for it they can use regular ones. Never too young ;)

Sure, that's a fine age. Just as noted make sure it fits well. Puppies tend to be able to wriggle out of both collars and harnesses more easily than adults -- probably because they tend to be more squirmy anyway! With many harnesses you can actually clip the lead to both harness and collar ring for extra safety. That is what I initially do with dogs unused to a harness.

..and get the step in jacket harness rather than a standard soft harness - it makes it much, much harder to wriggle out of, and you could possibly even be a little more generous with size to give yourself a bit of growing room - which is not really a safe option with the normal kind of harness.

Thank you all, i will look for what you suggested, can you suggest any online pet store, here in Italy it is not easy to find good things for puppies

Thanks again

ciao
Chiara:)

..and get the step in jacket harness rather than a standard soft harness - it makes it much, much harder to wriggle out of, and you could possibly even be a little more generous with size to give yourself a bit of growing room - which is not really a safe option with the normal kind of harness.

I have been using a step-in harness with Bandit now since he was about 12 weeks old. The one I have is called the Comfort Wrap step in harness made by Top Paw. It fits VERY well and he is comfortable in it. It goes on quick and easy.
Here it is on PetSmart's website, but they are sold lots of places online. They are also very inexpensive, so if you find he outgrows it quick, you aren't out much money.

The size I bought for Bandit has fit fine for the last month and a half and is the 12" to 18" girth size and it fits him fine at 10.5 pounds.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751407

Thank you again, i will take a look,

ciao

Chiara:)

I have been using a step-in harness with Bandit now since he was about 12 weeks old. The one I have is called the Comfort Wrap step in harness made by Top Paw. It fits VERY well and he is comfortable in it. It goes on quick and easy.
Here it is on PetSmart's website, but they are sold lots of places online. They are also very inexpensive, so if you find he outgrows it quick, you aren't out much money.

The size I bought for Bandit has fit fine for the last month and a half and is the 12" to 18" girth size and it fits him fine at 10.5 pounds.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751407

Sparky started wearing a hearness as soon as he was able to go out for a walk - (16 weeks)

Back