• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cara and Minnie Vet visit

Claire L

Took both girls to see a new vet because I had a few SM queries relating to Cara and I wanted a second opinion. First off, Cara had an infection in her right ear so we got drops for that and her anal glands needed to be emptied :eek: she is on metam 10ml once a day to see if her symptoms improve (they have) and is due back for follow up next Thursday.

Minnie had to have 5 teeth extracted :yikes and her anal glands emptied as well. She is fine now and will go back with Cara next week for a check up.

Both girls have heart murmurs: Cara is a grade 0 -1 and Minnie's is almost undetectable :rah:

Will let you know how they get on next week.

Poor Minnie - 5 teeth :eek: is she ok after having them out? Millie had to have a dental a few months ago and since Im really worried about their teeth. Rex and Chloes are fine, but Mill's seems to be more prone to bad breath and plaque - and she just will not let me near her with a toothbrush.

So did the vet think Cara's suspected SM symptoms were down to the ear infection or was she having more symptoms other than ear scratching?

Claire,

I hope Cara is feeling better now she has medication for her ears. And poor Minnie, give her a hug from across the irish sea.

I hope the heart murmers stay so low graded for you:paw:

Hope your concerns about SM were just related to the ear infection. Did the vet have any ideas?

I hope they are alright. I'm sure it is a bit distressing to learn that they have murmurs at all, even if slight. I know they're both rescues ... do you have a sense of how old they both are?

Lucky and Sparky send puppy kisses to your sweet girls! :lotsaluv:

Poor Minnie - 5 teeth :eek: is she ok after having them out?
She is absolutely fine now and in great form.

So did the vet think Cara's suspected SM symptoms were down to the ear infection or was she having more symptoms other than ear scratching?
The Vet is not sure. That's why she has prescribed the Metacam for two weeks, to see if the symptoms decrease. Cara rubs her face along the ground after eating and yelps for no reason (usually happens when she gets up from resting) and sometimes she has a worrid look on her face; it's hard to describe......sort of like when someone has a really bad headache and you can see it on their face.
Since she has been on the Metacam, she is in much better form but still face rubbing. I think the next step will be an MRI.

I hope they are alright. I'm sure it is a bit distressing to learn that they have murmurs at all, even if slight. I know they're both rescues ... do you have a sense of how old they both are?

When I got them, they were said to be 4 or 5 so I put them at 4 :) so they will be 6 in Jan/Feb

I think the next step will be an MRI.

Its such a pity they aren't more widely available. I get paranoid every time I see any of mine scratching or rubbing their faces on the rug.

Ill be thinking of you on Thursday and :xfngr: the follow up will be ok.

Kisses from my 3 to your 2 :lotsaluv:

:lotsaluv: Hugs for Cara and Minnie - hope the girls are feeling much better and get on great at their follow up. Let us know how it goes.

I took both girls in for their follow up check last Thursday.
Minnie's gums are healing really well and she is back eating her normal food. I haven't given her any treats ( greenies or Fish4dogs) yet though. Maybe next week.

Cara's ear infection is almost gone but I still have to put drops in her ear for the next ten days and also use an ear cleaner once a day.

The vet said to stop the Metacam for the next ten days and see how Cara behaves without it. At this point in time the vet doesn't think that Cara has SM but she feels that from her own observations and interaction with Cara, that Cara is a worrier (bit like myself :rolleyes:) and yelps because she thinks something is going to happen.

I am keeping a diary and we will go back in ten days time and take it from there.

I'm still not ruling out SM and the possibility of an MRI but I trust this vet and am quite happy to be guided by her.

Will let you all know how we get on.

Glad to hear that it is looking good for Cara..hope it continues to go well for your girls.

Back