• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why does he hate the hairdryer so much?

mounie

hello again, here another thread due to this rainy day :rolleyes:
Nicki played a while in the grass, but after the rain his legs got dirty, so i put them under the water, mild temperature, but it was a tragedy, and when i switched on the hairdryer , again, not hot, but mild temperature, he was in panic, crying and trying to run away, where did i make the mistake? Is there anything i can do to make him feel more comfotable with it ? It will be a real problem when he will take his first bath, am afraid...

greetings from Italy

Chiara:)

do you blowdry your own hair? if so, you could try bringing him into the bathroom and letting him be near it without having it used on him. praise and give treats when he is listening and not panicing. Just maybe hold him when it isn't bath time, don't touch the air to him and turn it on low and hold him until he calms down. Then give a treat, praise and stop for the time being. Keep this up, eventually put the air to him briefly and treat him for being still. The trick will be to avoid him going to the point of complete hysteria.
To bathe Bandit, we started with my youngest daughter getting in the tub with her swim suit on with him and holding him on her lap. This made him feel more safe. We also use an attachment to the shower that makes a gentle hand-held squirter for wetting and rinsing. It seems less traumatic than a harsh spray or water running the whole time.
I know anything mine have been afraid of, I have used conditioning gradually to whatever it is using treats to create a positive association and it does work if you don't rush it. Rushing it can undo the progress in a hurry.
Good luck!

Poor Nicki. When we first brought Sally home when she was 12 weeks I always used house hold appliances and the hair dryer as I always had. I used the hairdryer myself and she would sit and watch. After a few weeks of her just watching I turned the hairdryer to blow on her from a distance. I would do this now and again so she learned what it was like. Gradually she became used to it. So if I ever bath her at home now she will sit whilst I dry her. Nicki is probably wondering what it is and the noise will frighten him. I'm sure in time he will get used to it.

My boys will only let me dry them with the hair dryer if they're sitting on my lap with their faces buried under my arms! :D Otherwise they run from it...

Dylan had the habit of sleeping under my dressing table when I dried my hair but never would he let me use it on him. I have dried him with a powerful dryer at a grooming parlor and he was fine, it doesn't make sense! I cuddle him in a towel then let him do the zoomies.

Good suggestions re acclimating your puppy to normal daily household noises like your hair dryer (used on you), vacuuming, etc. If your pup watches and sees that you are not in distress over the noise, she should eventually lose her fear.

When it comes time to use the dryer on your pup, you might try sitting on the floor in a cuddle while using the lowest and quietest setting, talking baby talk and giving tiny tasty treats. When the blower turns off, stop the treats, turn it on, treats come back. It may take time, but it is worth a try. My dog is ALL ABOUT the treats. She will do or tolerate practically ANYTHING for a cookie. Makes my life easier when training or acclimating to something new.(y)

OOOPS!!! Sorry, I referred to Nicki as a she when he is actually a little boy. (An awfully cute little fella I might add!) :)

Lots of good ideas there.

He's afraid for the same reason lots of dogs and cats are afraid of vacuums and any loud strange noise -- it is just plain scary! He needs to gradually learn it isn't.

When you are drying him, keep the dryer at a distance and not on the hottest setting. It is easy to burn them with too high a setting, especially a puppy.

All of mine disliked dryers initially and now all of them LOOOOOVE the dryer. Nice warm air -- what's not to like? :lol: If I am drying one of the dogs the others all try to squish in to get some nice warm air themselves. :rolleyes:

I echo all of the above comments and suggestions. Cleo LOVES the ahirdryer. She loves to have it blown at her on a low temperature so she can swish her head and let her ears billow in the breeze - she's such a princess! :lotsaluv:

Thank you for your smart suggestions, dear friends, will try them and let you know :)

greetings from Italy

Chiara

I echo all of the above comments and suggestions. Cleo LOVES the ahirdryer. She loves to have it blown at her on a low temperature so she can swish her head and let her ears billow in the breeze - she's such a princess! :lotsaluv:

Back