Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: November 5 th

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default November 5 th

Hi

For all us animal lovers that horrid night (or weeks some time ) will soon be here ,I plug in one of those DAP and also use some calm me down drops in their water .But has anybody else got any good ideas that will help.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

It's the 31st we need to prepare for here. I'll just make sure I get home early, close the curtains and blinds and use the tv or stereo to drown out the noise, dogs will be oblivious to what's happening outside.
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brian

Sorry, I don't have any ideas for you as my Rosie seems to be the only dog in the world that LOVES fireworks!!!!

As soon as she hears a bang, she's standing at the back door with her tail wagging, begging to go out so she can investigate!!!

So it seems I am going to have the opposite problem to you - one hyper dog wanting to go out every 30 seconds to see what's going on and join in all the fun!

Don't worry, when I do let her out, she is under constant supervision and she can't escape from the back garden (6ft high fence all round).

I hope you have a calm and peaceful night.
    Sarah

Mum of Rosie (tri)

Post Thanks / Like

It's already started on our estate! Poor Ollie was terrified going out to toilet. He's fine indoors, I close the blinds and turn up the tv. He cuddles up with me on the couch and is oblivious to whats happens outside. I'm dreading friday night tho.
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt find the DAP any use for my dogs (but I know people who did) I use valarian compound liquid from www.dorwest.com it's a bit smelly but you can either put drops in food or squirt right down the throat. Seems to do the trick for Cass. There has been the odd banger around for the past few weeks & Sparks dosnt seem too bothered by them.

My last dog Leo was absolutly terrified & he had to take diazapam for a couple of days around halloween (we don't do 5th Nov here).
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard good thing about DAP's mine are all abnormal they really don;t mind them India and pippa will sit in the window and watch quite happy
    but i sympathise with those dogs are are scared
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

Fireworks started round here last night, luckily little Bailey slept on my lap and didn;t notice a thing, it was our Westie Lily who didn't like them. luckily they didn;t last long, but not looking forward to the next 2 weeks!!!
    Emily with her furry monsters
    Cariad (Ruby) Jan 2009 & Lily (Westie) May 2007

Gone but never forgotten... Baby Bailey (Blenheim) 10th April 2008~25.02.09

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are going off here as I type but I have two snooze buckets sat on the back of the chair with me! - obviously doesn't bother either off them - phew!
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

India and Geordie were traumatized by our next door neighbor's kids' fireworks years ago when they were one year old on the 4th of July, and we were away for the day. We came home before dark, and they were both in a state, even though they were inside the house (some windows were open).

This is how we handled it: we did not feed them their normal dinner, but after dark we took them out in the back garden on leads and fed them high value treats as the city fireworks display was happening nearby. They calmed down very quickly, and looked to us for goodies with every boom and bang!

I don't know if we were just lucky, but fireworks do not phase them at all now.

Chocolate, on the other hand, does not like fireworks, so we keep her inside with the windows closed and the TV on. When she needs to go out, we keep her on a lead and feed her treats to try to make it a positive experience.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like such a dope, but I must ask. What is celebrated on November 5th in Europe?