• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM and Diet

HollyDolly

I do not know if anyone is interested in helping Bet Hargreaves, but she is asking for owners of dogs with SM to post on the dog world website what you feed your dogs. I personally cannot think that it could be in anyway diet related but of course I am no authority on the subject.

Seeing as Bet Hargreaves said Margaret Carter and I should be ingnored, I'm not helping her :rolleyes:

That's not to stop anyone else posting on DogWorld. I'm sure it won't take long to prove to Bet it isn't food related as we all feed different foods.

Wonder what the rationale behind this is? Surely she's not trying to imply that what you feed your dog can cause SM?? :eek:

I've only ever read of it being a genetic/congenital problem or a result of trauma.

Bet must be crazy. Riley has SM and has had it since before we got her at 10 months. At her breeder's, she was fed basically a raw diet and only given homeopathic medications. Can't imagine diet has any relationship.

There are several cases of cavaliers that were never vaccinated and always treated homeopathically having SM. But some are quite obsessed that vaccinations or diet cause this condition.

There may well be environmental factors with SM. But the genetic research in Montreal points to environment having a possible 30% contribution and the condition therefore being overwhelmingly hereditary/genetic in origin. 'Environment' is a huge broad category as well.

I have related dogs, born 5 weeks apart and which have the same father. They have had the exact same diet from the same breeder then with me. One has SM and one does not. One scanned affected at age 1 and one scanned clear. Nearly four years later, the affected one is still affected, the clear is still clear.

Forgive me if I am wrong in my assumption - but do humans not get a type of SM - chiara malformation???

If so, then I cannot see how diet would be a factor in this type of disease as we all eat different diets????:confused:

I guess it's just hard for me to understand. I mean, you can physically SEE the syrinxes via MRI with SM, right? I am sorry, I just can't logically comprehend the statement that "SM could be caused by environmental factors" ~ I wonder what kind of a scientific background whoever says it can be caused by environment has? . . .

I firmly believe it is a recessive disorder.

Hmmm. Very good point you made there. Maybe someone should point this out to Bet?, of course, it would have to be someone who felt they might actually be able to get on with her. Any offers?

Believe me, these points have been made to Bet over and over, for a couple of nyears now. For your own sanity, just ignore the thread! :lol:

Believe me, these points have been made to Bet over and over, for a couple of nyears now. For your own sanity, just ignore the thread! :lol:
Yes you are right Karlin ignore from now on, as everyone else has on the site only one reply(y)

Back