• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Any advice would be great!

Eliseus

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit concerned about Ruby, She had her first season at 6months old (she's now 8months old) and it lasted for about 6 weeks, we took her to the vet because a) she was so young, b) the season lasted so long and c) her nipples became extremely hard in the last week.
Anyways the vet said not to worry, it was unusual to be so early and last so long but she was fit and healthy.
Now for the reason i'm worried.....last night she seemed to be very swollen like she was on heat, it also looked like she was loosing again but thankfully that hasn't happened. This evening she is really swollen like when she was it the height of her season, she's not her usual self...wont even give me kisses on my nose!
She's eating and drinking fine, going to the loo fine, playing with her Evie etc...although both are currently flat out on the sofa!
Other than the swelling and no kisses she's perfectly normal......anyone got any ideas?
I'm gonna take her to the vet tomorrow if she's no different but just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas what could be wrong and if I can do anything for her?

Best Wishes
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I wonder if she is having a phantom pregnancy?

I would definitely see the vet again asap

Kirsty

Sounds like phantom pregnancy to me too. I had a B/T who had a phantom pregnancy after her 1st season at 6 months, and every season afterwards. They can even trick themselves into producing milk. Later I mated her but she absorbed the pups at about 6 weeks.

Even later another of my girls had 6 pups and was happy to let the B/T into the whelping box with the new born pups. Overnight the B/T came into milk and the following morning I found them BOTH in the pen feeding the pups between them. The two girls took it in turns one feeding, one just outside sleeping. Dear old Sheena was soooo pleased to be a mum at last, and it gave Misty a bit of a break.

I havent heard of this happening before though.

I have had two rescues get 'stuck' into a cycle of heat then phantom pregnancy after phantom pregnancy. I had t spay them in the middle of it all to stop the cycle, on advice of my vet. So yes, you need to see a vet about this and hopefully she will move beyond it very soon. If she kicks back into another phantom pregnancy though you may need to take some sort of action as this is hard on the dog.

Update on Ruby!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your advice! you were all right it is definitely a phantom pregnancy. The vet wanted to give her an ultrasound to see if she is pregnant but unless it's an immaculate conception there is no possible way she is pregnant. So after telling the vet no to the ultrasound he has prescribed her Galastop.

Thanks again for all your advice
Sarah

poor little darling! I feel so bad to have this happen to her at such young age. I hope she feel much better now after the proper medication.

Poor little girl, its so hard on them. I would go with Karlin and have her speyed once she is over it. I had my two done after the pups.

Wow! thanks for sharing. I put a post out before saying I've never had a girl before so reading this is preparing me, just in case. I hope to spay her before she goes into heat, but just in case I at least know what to watch for.

Thanks for sharing!! :)

I will be down this avo togive ruby lots of cuddles, look after her for me til then x x

Back