Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your cavalier talk to you?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does your cavalier talk to you?

Apparently my little Kia is a little chitchatter
    She "speaks" all day long,everthing from deep-throat-growling-moaning(in a happy-way) to high pitched catlike cries.
    Whenever she wants something or needs help(to get down from the sofa,reach a toy etc) she starts speaking.
    When a family member comes home from school or work or simply taking the trash out she will greet him/her in a crying whining sound...sometimes she gets so exited it´s sounds like someone is torturing her She is not a barker (yet) and will never growl as in growling but is this common with cavalirs? I know her daddy is quite a carackter and also speaks alot.
    It may sound like she is very insecure but she is not ,on the contrary Kia is a tough little cookie with lots of spunk.
    Last edited by ice-cavi; 29th October 2008 at 12:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes Jaspar is a bit like that. He has perfected a special shriek too, reserved for when he wants something or I disappear out of sight.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

India has become very verbal since her hearing loss. She reminds me of "Lassie", where she whines to get our attention.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Bandit is a major "talker" and I am learning to decode his special yips, woofs, growl-whines, "purrs" etc. I know what you mean!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Molly is a chatterbox, too: Whining for attention from guests and people we meet on the street (a bit embarassing sometimes), growling/howling sounds like Chewbacca from Star Wars, when she is playing, a high pitched bark if she wants something, a grunt if she is happy etc.... It is so funny to identify all those sounds
    Charlotte & Christian
    Molly & owyn & Khaleesi

Post Thanks / Like

Gus and Pippin do this 'talking' too..Pippin's is a kind of whining/shrieking when he wants something, but Gus sounds like he is trying to actually talk and he gets up in your face when he does it and looks straight in your eyes!
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

I've found the opposite & they dont "talk" very much compared to my kcs & my papillon.
    I remember a few years ago driving home with a rescue cav & thinking how silent she was.

Our first cavalier used to sneeze when she wanted something

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My three will make a polite little sneezing sounds to get our attention so we'll open the door to let them outside.

Both of my previous dogs did the same thing!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

My Cav Mindy has become much more verbal since our Golden, Zeus passed away. She whines desperately when I come home at lunch until we've had a bit of a cuddle and whines with excitement when it's time to go out for our walk.

Post Thanks / Like

Oliver makes little harumphing noises when he wants to go out - almost like a little sneeze except he adds a little throaty sound to it. Oz is such a talker. He's always making some type of noises like little Kia, whereas both of my girls are pretty silent unless an animal is on television. Then they all makes soft whines, yips, growls, etc. Pretty funny.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)