• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Nylabones

LovesCavaliers

Having read that nylabones are safe and the best thing for cavvies to chew, I was surprised to read a negative review online today. The review said that the shards from the nylabone scratched her dog's throat and it became infected. She was talking about a larger dog than a cav.

Would you recommend them? I'm having a 5 month old puppy coming at the weekend and chewing on any toy or chewie will be supervised.

If I have to pop out a stuffed kong is safe to leave him with isn't it?

Would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks a million
Mary

I had a gumbone for my dogs but ezme ate the lot in about 10 minutes then spent the night throwing up plastic.

they arn't interested in the harder ones at all

I remember having a couple of hard nylabones years ago and the dogs wouldn't look at them.

I think that is the trick ... getting them to be intersted in them. Lucky has one. He will chew on it but only if no other more intersting chews are available. He's never made too much damage on the nylabone. I've also read they are very safe.

When I am home to supervise, I give my dogs hooves ... they LOVE them, and they last forever. If they get a chewie when I"m gone it would be a stuffed Kong, but I don't do this now that I have 2 since they might fight over them.

Thanks for your replies. I thought in a photo the gumabone looked promising, but if your cav was sick I won't bother.

Thanks Lani for your advice. My old cav Dan likes pigs ears, but they used to make Bailey sick.

Since I've been refreshing on puppy care, there is so much conflicting advice. One book said that bones wear a dogs teeth down, and nylabones are better.:confused:

I guess rationing the time with a bone is the answer, if you want to spare their teeth. My two used to love the bones from a cooked joint, and they tended to lose interest once all the meat and marrow was gone. It didn't take them long to deal with either.

It's so reassuring to have other cavy owners to talk to. I know I should be more confident having had two cavvies for 12 years, but we can always learn something new.:)

Thanks again
Mary

Perhaps since the dog was large, the bone actually went into his throat and scratched him. The key is getting the proper size nylabone. Kingston has several of these and he loves them. Nylabones are the one thing I'm not afraid to leave alone with him.

I bought Jasper his first one yesterday. It was labeled "for powerful chewers." He chews up everything in sight. He sniffed at it and won't touch it. It was over $10, too, so that was irritating. He loves rawhides of any kind (I guy the dental bones mainly), but I've started getting concerned about them, so I thought I'd switch him to Nylabones. No luck, though.

He did, however, immediately start eating his new bed. :mad: He's chewed up every bed he's ever had...I don't know why I thought this time would be any different!

Lori

Dottie loved Nylabones from the get go. Problem was, I got her the wrong kind and she did get little pieces off of it, so I threw it away and posted about it on the board. Karlin recommended getting the Durable Nylabones in the future. We did just that and have never had a problem since. Dottie always chews on it right after eating and I would think it is good for her teeth and gums, as well as the satisfaction she receives from it.

I do know other dogs that won't touch them though, so it seems to just be a personal preference. If you try again, make sure you get the Durable type! (y)

My ching doesnt know what to do with Nylabones when he was a puppy. But now they have learn to love it. Nemo also enjoys his Nylabones. The thing about Nylabone in our house is that it always disappears! They dogs would drop them in between furnitures very easily. I probabaly have 5 missing Nylabones right now....

Jato and Zoey both loved Nylabones. I think they are safe for them. Jato really enjoys chewing things with his back molars, so when the ends of the Nylabone get worn down, I just throw them away. I get them the Wolf size so they last a bit longer. I give them a Kong stuffed with peanut butter, and sprinkle in some cheerios for fun when I leave them in their cages to go out shopping, etc.

Many thanks to all, it's reassuring to hear that your cavs have been all right with the nylabones.

I'll look at their website for the durable kind. I have the kong ready and the peanut butter so that should keep him happy. His poor gums are tender at the minute - his breeder said he doesn't want his breakfast of canin, so I guess I'll be scrambling eggs for him.

I really appreciate the feedback - you're all so friendly and helpful.

Mary x

Back