• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help, Need Advice, Whooping Cough Sound

Halina

Hali, who is 18 months experience for the first time 2 weeks ago a strange cough. We were walking when we were traveling and she was excited and for the first time was trying to run ahead of us on leash which caused her to cough for about 30 seconds a whooping type of cough. She always wears a harness and this brief period only had on a dog collar. She was otherwise fine, no problems.

Today I picked her up, obviously the wrong spot, and she began that strange cough again, only lasting 20-30 seconds.

I am hoping this is just normal doggy stuff or could this be a problem. She is walking, running, eating etc... all normal, no other problems or symptoms. The only change is where I put her cage which is in the laundry room, could this be some allergic reaction?

You know how it is, always thinking the worst. Thanks for your input.

Talk to a vet. This sounds like kennel cough but could be anything from pneumonia to several health conditions, some serious, where coughing is one sign. Please take her in to be checked to make sure she gets any care she needs. :thmsbup: This definitely is *not* normal dog behaviour.

Could it be the reverse sneeze? It's common in Cavaliers. Do a search on this board and you'll see what I'm talking about.

:)Hi! I'm new here. I'm the mom of 3 dogs - Stella Agnes (7 year old blenheim Cavalier) - Lucy Mae (7 year old Border Collie mix) - Desi (5 year old Poodle/Shih-tzu mix). I agree with one of the above posters. It may be something as simple as a reverse sneeze. Stella does this all the time.
I hope that is all it is!

Hali played ball yesterday and did notcough. It's only happened 4 times for a brief period in two weeks. She does have a vet appt scheduled for next week. You know how it is, the love is so intense that the thought of anything wrong with them puts you in a state of panic. I wil let you know. She does have a reverse sneeze so that possibility is very probable but sometimes we always think the worst. Everything else is normal..... Thanks, Debbie

Back