• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Questions for UK memebers

cosmic81

I have these questions in my head forever! Please let me know the answer to questions below! If they are true. I might just have to move to UK!:)

1. Are Cavalier King Charles allowed in any public place by law?
2. Are Cavalier King Charles the most popular toy breed in UK? Are they more popular than Maltese , toy Puddle and Yorkie?

In answer to question number 1, in theory yes but not many people know about this so the shop may not comply! I heard about someone who complained in writing after being sent out of Marks & Spencer with their Cavalier and now they can bring their dog. That may be only that particular store. I myself don't think it's fair to expect to take a dog into any establishment selling food. There is also a famous Park in London where only Cavaliers are allowed, I can't remember which.

And number 2, no they are not the most popular breed in the UK but they seem to be in my town. :)

There is also a famous Park in London where only Cavaliers are allowed, I can't remember which.

a cavy only park - thats a deadly idea, wish my park was like that (although poor Cass would have to wait oputseide I guess?)

I understand this 'law' is apocryphal and was never actually enacted. I do know that it has never been found anywhere on the books or in any historical decree. Think it is just a story and I think any story of cavaliers being especially allowed in anywhere are probably urban myths. I'd be interested in any evidence otherwise!

Alas, the 'take Cavaliers anywhere' story seems to be a myth - started, I would guess, by Charles II taking his spaniels everywhere with him. Pepys complained that he played with his spaniels during council meetings instead of attending to business. You could hardly say to the king, 'Sorry, you can't bring your dogs in here!'

There are so many places in Britain where you can't take dogs - partly at least the fault of some dog owners who let their dogs cock their legs in food shops and so on. People I meet from France, Germany etc are amazed at how restricted we are - most European countries are much more relaxed about allowing dogs in restaurants and shops. There's no law that says dogs can't go into restaurants (as long as the eating area is separate from the kitchen) - it's left to the manager's discretion. Two useful websites for tracking down places you can eat with your dog are Dog Friendly Britain and Dog Friendly Pubs - thanks to them, I discovered that there are three dog-friendly pubs in the centre of York, where I often go on holiday.

Kate and Oliver

thanks for answering my questions!
dogs are not allowed in any restaurants in California. We are lucky if they let us have dogs in the patio seating. thank you!

My dad once suggested I test the "law" by doing a "Travel Around Britain with a Cav" style thing and the write a book afterwards. It would be fun, but possibly also very expensive!

I find that if the dog is little and cute, places are more likely to make an exception, but they don't have to. Sometimes Holly can come into places with me because she can act as a Hearing Dog to a degree. Most cafes/restaurants that allow you to eat outside in Belfast will allow dog(s), and the people in Northern Ireland Railway are great - as long as said dogs are in their stroller...

Back