• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dialogue with a breeder

frecklesmom

I've had a very informative chat with a CKCS breeder and the question came up "What do you want to see from a breeder?" and what, in my thoughts, will draw you toward a breeder?
For me: On website,I want to see some pictures but definitely want to know about timely health checks on parents of a puppy and the health of generations before.I've learned that no matter how lovely the outside package it's the inside that's going to govern a future relationship.
I want to have good dialogue with breeder b/4 I travel to see any puppies. I want the breeder to be totally honest about health background and vet care for parents and any difficulties in birthing. Tell me where to check the pedigrees, tell me where to check the health history.
For all of us now, SM is a looming question and I want the parents to be scanned and any possible pertinent history to be laid on the table. A puppy is a financial investment but strongly a "heart" investment and I want the best chance possible to have good healthy years with my choice.
I believe we've all gotten a lot of information regarding protocols and I want to know that the breeder follows protocols for MVD and SM. Maybe, in the future, the protocols will change but we live with these protocols now.

So, those are some of my "needs"-they are not "wants". I think with all the education the question is valid-"How does the reputable breeder serve the inquiring prospective puppy buyer?"

Please add on your thoughts-I believe this breeder surfs this phenomenal board:).

That is a very good question for a breeder to ask. I agree with all of your statements. I would add that the breeder should not let puppies go to their new homes before 10 weeks (minimum). The breeder should also require the prospective new family to fill out a detailed questionnaire regarding information about the family and their home and other pets. I like to see the breeder be very choosy about who their dogs go to. I like to know also that the breeder is available for the life of the dog as a resource for concerns or questions that come up. We were very fortunate to have a wonderful breeder who set the standard pretty high and provided lots of information. We still keep in touch. She loves to get pictures of "her" little girl.

I'd like to add that I like to see the breeder involved in a local Cavalier club. I know that the reputable breeders in our area all belong to the local breed club and network together. They are good resources for one another and help each other out. In the ring they are competitors, but otherwise they are very supportive of one another and keep the standards high. I had the name of one excellent breeder when looking for puppies, and she didn't have any litters at that time. However,she gave me a list of 4 other breeders that had puppies that she could vouch for. That's how we got our Rosey!

Those are some good questions and things to look for.

I'd like to see a clear statement on a website of what that breeder is breeding for -- what is their philosophy. Some info on their show history. Their health approach and some info on each dog -- what the dog's strengths are, in health terms and appearance. I'd like to see the cardio information and MRI results or eventually, the estimated breeding value for the dog. Some history on the lines.

I'd like a breeder who is happy to talk about their breeding programme and answer questions. One who also asks ME a lot about what I am looking for (eg a quiet dog, an agility dog, a dog happy around kids... whatever) and what my home situation is, dog ownership experience and maybe, training approach etc. They should be concerned at making sure the puppy gets the best family fit! From the rescue end, I see too many situations where rescue 'cleans up' and has to rehome a dog that is only now seen as a 'problem dog' because the personality of dog was wrong for the desires of the family and vice versa.

I'd hope they'd be someone who would encourage maintaining friendly contact, and enjoy getting occasional updates and be a source of advice and wisdom to their puppy buyers if needed. Without having overly silly contracts, or demanding a picture every six months to make sure I haven't sold the dog on (having recently read a breeder describe this approach to homing!)... I mean really, if a breeder is that obsessed, then they shouldn't be homing puppies at all or maybe need to do personal homechecks like most rescue organisations do, and perhaps feel more confident about where they home their dogs? :confused:

A homing pack is really, really helpful -- when I got Jaspar, I'd have valued some information on feeding, training, health, the breed overall etc. Once you own dogs it is easy to forget that newbies to dogs or the breed really appreciate the most basic info, and t have that written down. Too easy to forget what is said!

or demanding a picture every six months to make sure I haven't sold the dog on (having recently read a breeder describe this approach to homing!)... I mean really, if a breeder is that obsessed, then they shouldn't be homing puppies at all or maybe need to do personal homechecks like most rescue organisations do, and perhaps feel more confident about where they home their dogs? :confused:

I would have been delighted if my dogs breeders had asked for photo's, sending a pic every now & then should not be a problem.
except for one they have never shown any interest once the dog was sold

A couple of weeks ago, Cailean's breeder 'found' me on an internet group where I had mentioned Cailean and e-mailed me asking how he was :).

Off-topic a bit I know, but I have always found her to be very caring. She no longer breeds, but I know she's involved with a research project and her own pet cavs get regular MRI's.

How wonderful to have a breeder asking these types of questions! I agree with the absolute necessity to clearly explain what the MVD and SM breeding protocols are, and specifically how that breeder follows such protocols. I would also like to know why the breeder decided to breed her dog, and what research went into making the parental match.

The health history of all dogs involved in the puppies' lineage should be readily available. I was interested in learning who Holly's parents, grandparents, great and great great grandparents are, and their respective health screening and test results. The information should be submitted to recording organizations like OFFA, so that puppy buyers can actually see what tests were done and what the results were. I gues what I'm getting at is a laid out "family tree," where a potential buyer could research each dog in the puppies background.

I was very put off by any breeder who seemed willing to place a puppy with me without serious "investigation" into my home and my family. Once my litter arrived, my actual "puppy" changed a couple of times because my breeder had met my family and was concerned with placing the right temperment in my home. She also required that I come visit her WITH MY ENTIRE FAMILY in advance of even considering placing a puppy with me. So, I schlepped my two young kids, my parents (because they live next door and are involved in our daily lives) and my husband on a long road trip to be "interviewed" by the breeder. The result was a puppy placed with us who is a great match for our family's lifestyle and personality.

I came home with specific information on feeding, sleeping, potty training, general grooming, and other basic puppy care instructions. This was very helpful as Holly is my first dog. My breeder has made it very easy to turn to her for advice since Holly's been home -- I feel as if I'm made a relationship for life and am grateful for that.

How wonderful to have a breeder asking these types of questions! I agree with the absolute necessity to clearly explain what the MVD and SM breeding protocols are, and specifically how that breeder follows such protocols. I would also like to know why the breeder decided to breed her dog, and what research went into making the parental match.

The health history of all dogs involved in the puppies' lineage should be readily available. I was interested in learning who Holly's parents, grandparents, great and great great grandparents are, and their respective health screening and test results. The information should be submitted to recording organizations like OFFA, so that puppy buyers can actually see what tests were done and what the results were. I gues what I'm getting at is a laid out "family tree," where a potential buyer could research each dog in the puppies background.

In addition to the items you've listed, I would want to look at the breeder's paper trail of health testing and pedigrees of the sire and dam as well as grandparents with the breeder to have a discussion and ask questions. I know that is time-consuming for the breeder, but it would put my mind at ease to know the breeder is open to sharing this type of information. I think the breeder would benefit by investing that time with me, because if I liked what I saw, I would be a never-ending source of puppy referrals! (y)

I have to say I love my breeder's website. She has a ton of information about the breed on there, especially health information, and a "FAQ" section that's very informative. There are a lot of pictures of past puppies and their new owners. My favorite section is the one that has links to all of her dogs. Each dog has a page full of pictures from puppyhood to present and a pedigree page (including heart testing, etc.) going back several generations. I love looking at Jasper's parents (and now my new upcoming pup's parents) and seeing what they looked like at various ages and who Jasper takes after (his mom and grandfather).

She met me and my whole family several times before sending us home with a puppy. I think she wanted to see how we all interacted with the puppy and his parents. She told us that she refused to let one family leave with a puppy after noticing how her dogs didn't like the husband. I think that's great! She's answered a lot of questions for me and once spent an hour on the phone with me about a problem I was having with my other Cavalier that I hadn't even bought from her. At the time I didn't have any dogs from her at all, but I had visited her kennel just to look around.

Finally, her dogs are always free to come back and stay "as long as they need to"--whether you're on vacation or whether you decide (heaven forbid) that the dog isn't right for your family. She definitely keeps in touch with families who buy puppies from her (even hosts a puppy party every year), which is such a difference from Dudley's breeder, who never contacted us ONCE to see how he was doing...after she insisted we take him home at only six weeks old. :eek: We should've known better but were naive. My breeder doesn't let her pups leave before 10-12 weeks minimum, and she has potty training well underway by then.

In short, I want a breeder who seems thoroughly knowledgeable about the breed and a website that reflects that. Club memberships, evidence that they show their dogs, and not having puppies available all the time are definite must-haves. Finally, I definitely agree with the others who said that some type of interview or detailed questionnaire for the prospective owner should be expected. After all, would you send your precious puppy home with someone you knew nothing about?

Lori

Back