• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What do you do when you go out?

I am lucky - my husband and I own a business so I take Maggie (2 year old Cavalier) and Bear (15 year old Brittany) to work with me.

When we go out, they have the run of the house - but Maggie's favourite spot is on the wide window sill which she gets to via the sofa. We placed a doggie bed there and when we pull up we can see her sleeping there. So cute!

My two go in to their individual crates which are in the spare room. They go there at night and if we are out (although not for long periods). Since ive went back to do my postgrad, there are two days a week i am in uni most of the day, and this is when they go to my Grandparents. They love it there, as they get spoiled all day :rolleyes: and i think it gives my gran company and 'someone' to chat to. They definitely keep her amused.

Since having the dogs though my life does work round them.... i plan my day depending on when they get fed and when they get a long walk etc. People think its crazy... but i think its something people overlook when they get dogs.:rolleyes:cavtiny

Mindy gets run of the house. I have been thinking about this a lot lately because when we get the puppy it will be a long time before he is able to get run of the house. I have started closing off the bedrooms - partly because I want her to get used to the idea before Max comes home and partly because I worry about her jumping off of my bed at her age (10). She has stairs to get up but she always jumps off herself unless I am quick and lift her down. I'm thinking once Max is trained I will lock them both in the kitchen if they are getting alone. Mindy has been very lonely since Zeus died so locking Max in the kitchen while giving her run of the rest of the house kind of defeats the purpose of giving her some company. She sleeps all of the time I'm gone but she does have a few favourite spots.

:xfngr:Chelsea has run of the house(lucky me the best dog, lots of toys and no chewing,) dog door to back for potty breaks, bark at anthing, visit the dog next door through the fence. I have a dog walker who comes 1-2 time a week for extra exercise. Have been planning for a new puppy, will place an expen in the kitchen so cats and do will still have run of house and access to litterbox and outside.

Bailey stays in the kitchen (with Lily our westie). I make sure they have lots of water and lots of oys, i usually come back to them either rolling around n the floor together playing with a toy, or fast asleep in one of the beds together. If i'm going to be any longer than 6 hours then i arrange with our friends next door to come and give them a run around in he garden for 1/2 an hour a few times. if we're going out for the day and they can't come we are lucky that my boyfriends mum only lives 10 mins away and will look after them happily.

I don't work, I stayed home for my kids. But if I do, my 2 are always have run of the house. I just make sure theres no garbage that my Lizzy can get to, shes the curious one. Butch on the other hand would not even get down the couch if I'm not around for him to follow around. They are always free to roam inside the house. They are trained to go potty outside and peepad, so if I go out long I just leave a pee pad for them to use in case they needed to elimate. :dogwlk:

hi

all my three have their own crates and my wife Dawn is a full time housewife so they have company all day and at the weekend we have a big Honda CRV 4 wheel drive so they have their own individual crates in their as well so I think we are pretty well covered.

I am a stay at home mom, so we're at home a lot of the time. Because she's a puppy, Holly is always in the same room with us in the house, and if I have to leave my children's sides for a few minutes, Holly comes with me. But if we do go out, we take Holly with us if at all possible. She has a carseat and a Sherpa bag which she's been in since she came here at 11 weeks. She's been to movies, stores, you name it in her Sherpa. I would encourage you to take your cav with you as much as possible as it's really helped with Holly's socialization.

If we're going some place where dogs aren't welcome, Holly stays home in her crate. There have been weeks where I've had to make myself leave her just so that she won't develop separation anxiety.

Wow Tara I wish my dogs were as welcome as urs is!
We are in the UK and cant even take them into the local supermarket.
Even if i am going to the local supermarket(a small one) I cant take them as i would have to leave them outside and i dnt trust they would still be there when i got out!
I see no problem taking ur dogs anywhere within reason and if obedient and toilet trained!
I woiuld gladly take mine everywhere....they are like my children!

I am a stay at home mum so am in the house all day....so the dogs always have company.If we do go out they have a seperate crate next to each other and i stick in a kong filled with paste and treats for each dog.I dnt leave them any longer than 4hrs.
To get a night out i take them to my mums with the kids where she looks after them all (y)

Back