• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What do you do when you go out?

Peaches has a crate that she goes in when i go to bed or if i have to pop out, i usually leave her a treat (pig's ear stuffed kong etc) but i find she wait's till i get home to eat it.

she goes in happily enough but i know she misses me.

I don't work at the moment but when I do Star will be going to work with my husband.

If I do leave her alone she goes in her basket in the kitchen with Vinnie. She's really good though and doesn't make any fuss and always goes mad soon as we're home.

Mine stay in the kitchen, with access to the garden should they want it.

I used to crate Dylan but this past summer he suddenly began to hate it during the night. Maybe with his SM he got to hot or uncomfortable. When I go out he has the kitchen and lounge. I make sure nothing is left out he can get hold of and put the telly on, he likes watching it, especially cartoons.

My 3 have access to downstairs while we're at work. Upstairs is gated off.
I leave a radio on and plenty of toys down to occupy them. I can't leave anything with food though as Im afraid it would spark a fight (Millie is most definitely a food guarder!).
I leave the back blinds on the house half pulled up so they can have a good look at whats going on in the back garden too.

My ma minds my doggies as she lives with us, sometimes we all go out to dinner together and the doggies stay in the kitchen together if we are a long time away my sister lives next door and they let my doggie out to the bathroom!

Sally has the kitchen/diner when we're out at work but she's never left more than 6 hours at a time. If we're going out for the whole day then we ask a friend or familymember to look after Sally for us. If we have no baby sitter we don't go!

Sally has the kitchen/diner when we're out at work but she's never left more than 6 hours at a time. If we're going out for the whole day then we ask a friend or familymember to look after Sally for us. If we have no baby sitter we don't go! We try to take Sally with us as much as possible when ever we go out and choose days out so that she can come too.

My three have the kitchen and hall stairs and landing, They usually stay in bed in the kitchen though. They are never alone more than 6 hours though and thats only 3 or 4 times a week.

It's funny they make a huge fuss when I come home and sometimes if I come home early they actually look surprised!

My boys have the run of the house, they're not troublemakers so we don't block them off anywhere. Plus, we have a loft, so we can really only close off our bedroom suite; everything else is open. They're also out when the girl that cleans our condo comes over, and they are well behaved and don't bother her - she loves them :lotsaluv: If we are going to have any workers in the house though they are crated.

When I used to work full time and my husband used to work abroad all week my next door neighbour use to come and let them out at lunchtime. Then I went from full time to part time and now I have been at home since May when I was made redundant. When we go out they have the run of the house downstairs. I leave the radio on and they like to sit on top of the sofa and look out of the window. Normally they are all fast asleep when I get back.
Sabby

I work full-time. I put a baby gate up in the laundry room and Maisy is contained in there. She has her crate there to curl up in if she wants to. Her beloved cat, Wally, visits with her often. I have a dog walker come at noon to take her out for a little bit. With this arrangement she seems to tolerate our absence very well but she goes crazy for me when I get home.

My dogs range in age from 16 months to 7+ years. Before we got Oz, the 3 older ones had the run of the house. Oz is not totally reliable yet though, so when we go out, I close all the bedroom doors, make sure everything is picked up and let them have the kitchen, family room area, living room, hallway, and laundry room. I also put a gate up so they don't go in the basement. I have dog beds all over the house, and they love the sofas. If we're gone more than 6 hours, I have someone come over and let them out and if they're lucky, take them for a walk. Oz is doing great with this arrangement, and the older ones are never any problem.

Mine go in an upstairs room where they mostly sleep on a bed or bark out the window at cats on the roof (not their own cats, of course!).

Murphy has the run of the house now, but when he was a puppy he was in the Utility(2m x 2.5m). When he was about 10 months he got the run of the kitchen too.

I used a baby gate to keep him where I wanted him, and I used to leave the radio on for him:)

We're sort of in a transition stage with Jasper, but this is a topic I've thought a lot about recently. Jaz will be a year old on November 15, and we've been giving him a bit more freedom in the last month or so. Before now, he's stayed in his crate while we were out. He's a very big chewer and has the tendency to get into things he shouldn't (like the pack of raisins from a couple of weeks ago...:eek:), so that's the main reason he's still crated most of the time when we're out.

We don't crate him for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time, and that's when I'm teaching my classes. Other than that, I'm here with him most of the time. For short trips out, we've been giving him the run of the first floor of our house, except for our bedroom. (He likes to eat the laundry that I let pile up there. :p) He's done very well so far on these short test runs, but I still worry that he'll eat a Lego or something and choke on it. That's why I block off my boys' rooms upstairs.

Eventually, he'll have the run of the entire downstairs and will only go in his crate when he wants to, but I think he's simply too young and impulsive yet to be given that much freedom all the time.

Lori

Sasha has run of the main floor, we block off the upstairs and the basement. It seems to me she must sleep most of the time.... she has three favorite spots. Sometimes some of her toys are pulled off the low shelf where we keep them.

I wish I had a little camera so I can see what she's really doing!

She's never alone for more than 3-4 hours... usually less.

Amber gets crated whilst we go shopping etc. Shes 8 months and a terrible chewer (of electric cables and plastic toy soldiers mostly).

The front door jammed this afternoon and despite frantic efforts my key would not turn in the door. I had my 3 year old grandson with me and it was pouring with rain. I looked through the letter box and Amber was snoozing peacefully . I even tried giving the door a hefty kick in desperation - she slept through it all.

Alex is in his cage when we are at work, somedays when we arent that busy either Michael or I take him with us in either van but Id say maybe 5 to 6 hrs on his own,its not too long but I feel its long enough for him,if it goes over I worry about him not that hes in harms way but he might be lonely,thats my biggest worry,we know hes safe and warm but the idea of him being lonely :lotsaluv:

Back