Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you go out?

Post Thanks / Like

My boys have the run of the house, they're not troublemakers so we don't block them off anywhere. Plus, we have a loft, so we can really only close off our bedroom suite; everything else is open. They're also out when the girl that cleans our condo comes over, and they are well behaved and don't bother her - she loves them If we are going to have any workers in the house though they are crated.
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

When I used to work full time and my husband used to work abroad all week my next door neighbour use to come and let them out at lunchtime. Then I went from full time to part time and now I have been at home since May when I was made redundant. When we go out they have the run of the house downstairs. I leave the radio on and they like to sit on top of the sofa and look out of the window. Normally they are all fast asleep when I get back.
    Sabby

Post Thanks / Like

I work full-time. I put a baby gate up in the laundry room and Maisy is contained in there. She has her crate there to curl up in if she wants to. Her beloved cat, Wally, visits with her often. I have a dog walker come at noon to take her out for a little bit. With this arrangement she seems to tolerate our absence very well but she goes crazy for me when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like

My dogs range in age from 16 months to 7+ years. Before we got Oz, the 3 older ones had the run of the house. Oz is not totally reliable yet though, so when we go out, I close all the bedroom doors, make sure everything is picked up and let them have the kitchen, family room area, living room, hallway, and laundry room. I also put a gate up so they don't go in the basement. I have dog beds all over the house, and they love the sofas. If we're gone more than 6 hours, I have someone come over and let them out and if they're lucky, take them for a walk. Oz is doing great with this arrangement, and the older ones are never any problem.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine go in an upstairs room where they mostly sleep on a bed or bark out the window at cats on the roof (not their own cats, of course!).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Murphy has the run of the house now, but when he was a puppy he was in the Utility(2m x 2.5m). When he was about 10 months he got the run of the kitchen too.

I used a baby gate to keep him where I wanted him, and I used to leave the radio on for him

Post Thanks / Like

Sasha has run of the main floor, we block off the upstairs and the basement. It seems to me she must sleep most of the time.... she has three favorite spots. Sometimes some of her toys are pulled off the low shelf where we keep them.

I wish I had a little camera so I can see what she's really doing!

She's never alone for more than 3-4 hours... usually less.

Post Thanks / Like

Amber gets crated whilst we go shopping etc. Shes 8 months and a terrible chewer (of electric cables and plastic toy soldiers mostly).

The front door jammed this afternoon and despite frantic efforts my key would not turn in the door. I had my 3 year old grandson with me and it was pouring with rain. I looked through the letter box and Amber was snoozing peacefully . I even tried giving the door a hefty kick in desperation - she slept through it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Alex is in his cage when we are at work, somedays when we arent that busy either Michael or I take him with us in either van but Id say maybe 5 to 6 hrs on his own,its not too long but I feel its long enough for him,if it goes over I worry about him not that hes in harms way but he might be lonely,thats my biggest worry,we know hes safe and warm but the idea of him being lonely
    Mam to Alex our 14mth old blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

I am lucky - my husband and I own a business so I take Maggie (2 year old Cavalier) and Bear (15 year old Brittany) to work with me.

When we go out, they have the run of the house - but Maggie's favourite spot is on the wide window sill which she gets to via the sofa. We placed a doggie bed there and when we pull up we can see her sleeping there. So cute!