Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a puppy/rescue dog

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a puppy/rescue dog

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping you'll be able to help.

Our beautiful Brio was killed by a car on Friday night. She was seven years old and a huge part of our lives. It was my fault entirely, because I left the gates open for trick or treaters, and though I thought I had closed them again before I let her out, I obviously hadn't. I went looking for her 20 mins later and found her dead on the side of the road.

We are utterly devastated. We don't have kids and our two dogs are our family. Our other dog, Murdy, a golden retriever, is totally lost without Brio. Murdy came to us as a very timid puppy, and though she's now a boisterous (if a bit small!) two year old, she was with Brio 24/7 and is very confused by her absence. Last night she didn't stop howling so we took her into our room to sleep.

We need to get another dog. We were going to hold off for a few months, but with Murdy so upset we think we might bring our plans forward. We're a bit torn between getting a puppy and getting a rescue dog.

Over the last few days I've been doing some research on the web. I had heard about the BBC documentary, but hadn't watched it. I've now watched it and read a bit about SM. I think it is very likely that Brio had it to some degree, and she was getting worse. She had a lot of the symptoms described - scratching, rubbing her face, pushing herself along the wall or the couch, and in the last six months she had started yelping occasionally and I couldn't find anything wrong. I had brought her to the vets to check her ears and her back and the vet's never mentioned SM to me.

Poor little dog. I feel like I've let her down twice over.

When we do get another dog, we want to make sure that we get a healthy one, if at all possible. We were wondering if there is anyone here who can recommend a breeder who scans their dogs. We were also wondering if someone could tell us how the rescue program works.

Brio was Blenheim and White so we would like another colour, so as not to be too like her.

Sorry about the saga ..still feeling very emotional about her.

Thanks so much for your help.

Kate.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for the loss of Brio. They are with us for such a short while, but their memories will remain in our hearts forever.
    Sandra
    Minnie-May (6yrs) & Rosie the Rescue (approx 6 yrs)
    My Darling Cinders and Lady Jane waiting at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sandrac. We'll miss her very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry for your loss.

On getting a puppy -- you are very unlikely to find an available puppy from a scanning breeder in the short time frame you are talking about. Most would have waiting lists and any good breeder generally has a waiting list anyway -- a wait of 6 months to a year is not uncommon. Most scanning breeders that do the range of tests and will talk openly about their breeding programmes and health tend to be smaller breeders and have only a litter or two per year.

Also, a new dog doesn't replace the lost dog for its companion animal. If anything, rushing to get a new dog would most likely cause more stress for the existing dog. You aren't after all bringing back a friend but introducing a totally strange new dog. As she is already stressed, she could take that out on a new dog or puppy.

I would for now focus on giving her time and activity -- extra walks, visits to other dog-owning friends, tiring her out with practicing obedience. Maybe sign up for an obedience class (rewards-based) to get her mind and body active. Then, take the proper time to find a good breeder or consider a rescue dog at a slightly later point. But give your own dog some time right now. Your dog will likely be far more settled in just a few days. It is also not a bad idea to have Murdy able to be left alone anyway -- this is going to happen throughout a dog's life when the other goes to the vet etc and each dog needs to be able to cope with some solitude. It is a good time to work with Murdy to get over this form of separation anxiety. Her reaction to being alone is pretty extreme and a sign that this is very important to work with now, where you have the time to do this focusing just on her and doing some training.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about your little Brio.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am very sad for you on the loss of your little Brio and can only imagine the pain this has caused. Eileen (Lucy's maid)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your sympathy.

Thanks karlin for your advice. I think we probably are rushing things a little. I think we're rushing around a little after the pain of losing Brio. We' re still so upset I think it's probably too soon.

A year seems like a long time to wait though. We'll see.

Thanks again, and if anyone could pm me some breeders for future reference, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks.

Kate.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about your loss - I'm nearly in tears imagining it, partly because it is one of my own greatest fears. I think you should wait, both for your sake and your current dog's. If you get a new dog/puppy now the memories will be too sharp and you will inadvertently be making comparisons instead of accepting the new dog on his/her own merits.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am so very sorry for your loss.
    Tanya, Mark and Cleo (Blen Girl Born 5th May 2006)

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry to hear about Brio.

As for another dog, I would also say it's a little too soon - not only for yourself - but also Murdy who may not take to it as well with the loss still fresh in her mind and could be hesitant if not a little defensive.