• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Price tumble?

Scottie

I've been looking through the local paper and can't believe the difference in the price of dogs advertised, all breeds seem to be dropping in price.
Tonight there is an advert for cavalier cross pups for £250 and full cavaliers for £475 but only a few weeks ago they were being advertised for £550!
I guess the credit crunch is affecting everyone.

I would be careful if you are thinking of getting another dog. The local papers are the LAST place to look. I've decided to look for a new pup, so looked on Breeders Online this evening just to see roughly what price I should expect to pay (though I wont be getting my pup from there). The prices there ranged from £375 right up to £800, with £600 being about average. This is roughly the same as March this year when we got a blenheim pup. Sadly this breeder breeds mainly blenheims, and I would really love a B/Tan or a Tri.

p.s. If anyone has recently got a pup and could recommend a breeder that health tests etc maybe you could pm me if Karlin allows this? If not I apologise in advance and will go the long way round :)

PMing is fine -- it is only public posting that isn't allowed -- but even if a breeder comes with a recommendation, ask to see full documentation for their dogs. A recommendation is only a starting point.

I agree scottie, they do seem to be tumbling, when i got Bailey in June she was £400, however i was looking on internet the other day (just to be nosy - 2 is enough for me!) and they have some full breed cavs for £250!!! i wish these people would stop breeding for the sake of it, they just see £ signs, and if they dont get the money who knows what they'll do next.

Don't worry Diddy, I wouldn't buy out the paper, I am not getting another dog until next spring, I was just being nosy :)
I don't think you see that many cavaliers advertised in the local papers actually, which is a good thing.
I suppose dog breeders are feelling the pinch like everyone else.

Where would I be able to look for recommended breeders? Would it be through something like the cavalier club? I'm asking because we went the entirely wrong way about it when we got Star. We got her through an advert in pets 4 homes... I don't think they were 'churning' them out and we did see both parents and all the pups and certificates but bearing in mind everything if we ever were to get another pup I would want to make sure we went about it the right way.
Saying that I wouldn't be without Star, she's a fab little dog, mental as anything but she's Star by name and nature!

Last edited:
Back