• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi I'm new!

k4teacher

Hey there! I'm a newbie! To this sight...and to the world of Cavs. I have a male tri color who is just 3 months old. I love him...love him...LOVE him!:lotsaluv:
Anyways....because I am new at this...I was wondering...when will his hair get longer??? I saw pics of his tri color dad and other adults...so I know his hair will get longer...just didn't know when. thanks!

Hi! You'll love this forum ..invaluable information.

My pup (at 12 weeks) had a very, very light coat compared to other pups I've seen; she looked like she had a rat's tail and not a whisp of hair to be seen. I was perfectly ok with this as I hope she'll have a lighter coat as an adult as well ..maybe less shedding??

Anyway, the tail feathers started sprouting at about 5 months ..you had to look really hard. She is now 7 months and the tail feathering is noticeable, leg feathering is coming in nicely, belly feathering seems to just have materialized overnight and foot feathers are looking awesome. It's really fun to see them transform!

By a year old, most will be feathered and filled in quite nicely (their hair anyway).

Although, my mutant Cavalier Ollie is still basically hairless at 14 months. He sure is easier to groom though! haha. He has tail feathers, nice ears, and some feathering on his legs but that's it.

My other, Casey, had a nice full coat from about 12 months.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
My Pixie wasn't in great health when I got her so her coat was light at 9 weeks. She got a decent coat. It was nicely feathered on her legs, ears, and tail. Her chest never got feathery and her body coat was light compared to many cavs I have seen. She went into heat at just under 5 months and her coat looked the best around then. About a month after going out of heat she blew her coat and was SO thin coated I was beginning to worry until I learned that is normal. It was looking quite good at the time she died at 11 months. :(

Bandit and Lizzie both had thick, lovely puppy coats. Bandit is 5 months, and he lost his puppy coat starting at about 14 weeks and looked rather thin coated except for his ears until just a week ago when his tail feathering started. Now I can see the beginnings of leg feathering, but he still has a long way to go. He is just beginning to get a coat back. Lizzie, who is 10 weeks is still very fluffy.

Hey, thanks you guys! He does have some beginnings of feathers on his feet...and I feel like his hair has gotten a little longer...but I could not find anything anywhere about the coat coming in. Now,,,the next question...the leash. he HATES it!!! I mean FREAKS:eek: when I put it on him!!! I did not have this problem with my little scottie (RIP) or my golden...so...any thoughts???

Welcome!

Welcome to the board! You're going to love having a Cavalier. They're even more beautiful as adults as they are as puppies! All around, they're the perfect breed. :lotsaluv:

My Blenheim, Jasper, is 12 months old now and has always had a fairly thin, silky coat. I'm not sure, but maybe this is an individual characteristic...? I've seen Cavs with very thick coats and some with thinner, silkier coats. Jasper's is definitely silkier. He didn't get any of the pretty feathering until he was 8 months old, I'd guess, and now it's coming in very nicely. The hair on his ears is finally getting longer, too. His chest hair is starting to fill out and get a bit curlier, but the hair on his back is still only an inch or so long. I don't think he's reached his full adult size yet. Cavaliers take a bit longer to readh adulthood than other breeds do. Maybe 18 months-2 years, if I'm not mistaken.

My first Cavalier was a male tricolor, and I swear he didn't seem to get his full coat until he was over 2 years old! Actually, he may have even been around 3 when I noticed his coat getting thicker and curlier. Somehow it just kept filling out after he reached adulthood. I don't know whether to expect the same thing from Jasper or not.

Anyway, congratulations on your little puppy, and welcome to the forum! I'm relatively new myself, and the people here have been incredibly helpful and supportive.

Lori

Hi K4 & welcome. Take lots of puppy pics while you can - they grow so fast that before you know it they have changed out of all recognition.
Amber was a plump puppy with a heavy puppy coat. Shes now almost 8 months and unrecognisable as the pup we brought home. She has long featherings on ears, chest, tail and legs & feet, and has a really sillky gleaming coat. As I remember her coat started changing at about 4 months.

Shes just coming into season and I've just read one of the above posts where it says they can loose their coat after a season. If she does i'll be sooooo dissapointed.

Dylan had a beautiful 5 inch long coat puppy coat that blew and left him with a shorter coat which is all different lengths! I have hair everywhere here even when we hoover regularly so there are advantages to having a shorter coat!
We started off fluffy at 3 months.
317336482_e01598deac.jpg

10 months old and his coat at it's best.
847865310_18fb02e1e0.jpg
827860289_8fa7ae88c6.jpg

Then he blew his coat at 11 months.
1238472853_4f5c21b252.jpg

And now it's all different lengths but it doesn't matter because it looks nice when you brush it...for about 5 minutes.
2948371201_a13c2f6836.jpg

He looks lovely, and you've only to look at his face to see he knows he's loved to bits. :)

Back