• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about coughing

cb2u

Yesterday morning Sasha was coughing (a sound like she was trying to cough up a furball or something, sort of a hacking sound). I called the vet who said she may have a little virus & to come in if she gets worse.

Her coughing has not gotten worse, it happens maybe 3 or 4 times during the day, but she's been waking up at night the past two nights and she's not sleeping near me like she usually does. Last night she slept on the rug which is not typical.

I don't want to rush her to the vet unnecessarily but don't want to ignore it either. So I guess I'll call the vet tomorrow, but any input would be welcome (Sasha is our first dog!).

Are you up to date on your bordatella vaccine?
Has your dog been around other dogs in daycare or boarded recently.
Kennel cough is pretty contagious.

It could be just allergies.

Portia caught a virus a few months ago and she was coughing/hacking in the middle of the night, too. I took her to our vet and he gave her antibiotics and some pills for the cough. She was much better in a few days.

Sasha is two years old.

She was around other dogs from Oct 24-26, when she stayed at a woman's house who watches cavaliers. :) There were 5 dogs altogether. But this was almost 2 weeks ago.

I'll ask the vet about the bortadella vaccine. She just had her yearly checkup a couple of weeks ago...

I must say today she seems a lot better... slept comfortably through the night, right at my side. :lotsaluv: . And no coughing.

Two weeks is the incubation period for kennel cough so it very likely could be this. It's always a good idea to have dogs get the KC vaccine a least 5 days in advance of going into boarding or kennelling, every six months if needed (most kennels require it).

I'd let the vet know she has possibly ben exposed to kennel cough (bordatella). It often goes away over time but some dogs can get quite ill and the cough can be persistent well beyond the time when the dog is actually ill.

Thanks Karlin. I did not know it's such a long incubation period!

If she has not coughed once in the last 24 hours, can I assume she's okay now?

Back