• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

General cavalier questions...

As a breeder many years ago, I would not allow anyone to purchase my puppies who were out at work all day. There is little point in owning a dog when someone is not there for some of the day. I am sorry if this sounds blunt but get a budgie instead.

As October Falls -- because it seems as though you're seeking opinions on our cavaliers' natures, I'll chime in here at the risk of offending others. I do realize that life throws us many different situations and that we all love our cavs and are trying to give them the best lives possible. But ... I'm a stay at home mom with two young children and our lifestyle now is THE MAIN reason I chose a cavalier for our first dog. I did a lot of research on different breeds. I wanted a smaller dog who (with very strict and contstant supervision) could like living with children, was an inside dog, and who would enjoy being around human family members almost 100% of the time.

Holly is a perfect fit for our family. She doesn't just like being around us, she NEEDS to be with us. She doesn't just tolerate my children, she LOVES them and probably considers herself my third child. If we're outside playing, she's playing with us or close by. When we come inside, she does as well. She's actually been extremely easy to train as I've taken advantage of her highly social nature. She's a breeeze to supervise because she either follows me from room to room or she doesn't object when I bring her with me wherever I go. I have little "Holly" stations set up throughout the house so that she can be entertained and supervised as we go about our day (yes, she even accompanies me to the toilet:eek:). And she also enjoys going on outings with us whenever possible.

Perhaps she would have adjusted to being alone during a large part of the day, but from the first day she was here she demonstrated a NEED to be with her people. It's very different than any other pet I've had -- granted they have all been cats and one german shepherd we had when growing up. My parents have commented on what a constant "presence" Holly is and that they've never seen another dog with a temperment quite like it. And my breeder also will not place cavaliers in homes where someone is not available during the day.

Bravo!!

This is what life should be like for a Cavalier. They adore children and this is one of the reasons I chose cavaliers.

Holly has a charmed life and cavaliers deserve this.:) It does gladden my heart to hear about these lovely routines that they share with us.

Surely any good breeder wouldn't wish to see her puppies go to a home where they wouldn't have human company during the day.

Dogs adapt

Dogs generally adapt to the situation they are in. If you are around all the time, they will want to be around you. Our dog trainer, who also breeds cavaliers incidently, doesn't advocate people allowing their dogs to be too clingy - they need to learn independence so that they don't flake out, even if you are out of their sight for 5 minutes. I would love to be at home all day with my dog, or even take her to work, but i am not in the position to do that. Instead we have other arrangements. But Daisy copes just fine with it, and is still a happy dog.

I think the crux of the matter for any family is to find a routine that works for you and your dogs, as I said Lisa and I both work, allthough Lisa's only part time, therefor 2 or 3 days a week depending on work, our dogs are home for 3 - 4 hours, and if it's any longer my parents doggie sit, and this works for us, our dogs are happy and healthy, because it's what they are used to......it is their routine,

Seeds of separation anxiety

It is true that if you are at home all day a cavalier will want to follow you around.

It's important that he/she is not allowed to do this all the time otherwise the seeds will be sown for separation anxiety problems.

We should all help our pets to feel independent by giving each other space and time apart during the day if you do happen to be around all the time.

Back