• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bordatella / kennel cough

gloucester girl

Our cav Frankie (11) contracted kennel cough while staying in a local kennel for three nights during half term. The incubation took 7 days. On day 1 he went off his food and developed this deep hacking cough. Fortunately, we had been warned by the kennel owner, so we took Frankie to the vet's as soon as he showed the symptoms. He also has slightly swollen glands; and he is even clingier than normal.... He has been prescribed antibiotics for 7 days. Hopefully, he'll be better soon! We are making sure that he doesn't come into contact with other dogs, and we'll have him vaccinated in January when his boosters are due. I don't think we'll put him into a kennel soon again...
We live in South Gloucestershire. Our vet said that kennel cough is quite rare normally but at the moment he sees one dog a day with it. So, if you are in our area, please, be aware of it.
I can hear Frankie coughing downstairs now. It really isn't nice!
Susanne & Frankie :paw::paw::paw::paw:

When we pick up my new rescue cavaler Jake he came with kennel cough my vet said it could take up to 5/6 weeks to clear
hope your little one is soon better
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake

Sorry to hear about your cough. Where are we? week 3 with Bella, I think. She is down to only coughing in the morning, or if she runs around playing to much. She keeps growing, so we keep having to change the amount of antibiotics she gets.

Tim

Kennel Cough

Kennel cough is such a pain in the bum to get rid of and they can be coughing for six weeks after it has cleared up. It's odd the kennel in question didn't require all dogs to be vaxed before they accepted them, any I have encountered want to see the vax card before they let the dog near the other dogs.

Good idea to get him vaxed when he is getting his booster - but just be aware that it doesn't cover all strains of kennel cough and he could still get it. Still, better they have some immunity that none at all!

Getting better

Frankie is much better. Thank you all.
He only coughs occasionally and seems back to his old self. He finished his 7 day course of antibiotics. I'm amazed to read it can take up to 6 weeks to clear. What a pain!

Back