• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Low Calorie Treats

Brian M

Hi

With Poppy being on a permanent battle with her diet and therefore no treats it is so difficult giving my other two girls the occasional treat and not her ,though I do hold back a bit of kibble and or broccoli/carrot ,and i bought from a website called Mungo & Jerrys two lots of biscuits one is made from Pumpkins and the other one Carrot but I am a bit wary of the calorie content ,I also have fish treats/sea biscuits and Barker & Barker mini (allowed 180 day ) liver /garlic treats,small dried whole sprats plus loads more .

What other low calorie treat do members give their Cavaliers all suggestions most wellcome.:confused:

My girls love green beans.

I also buy them Charlee Bears and Old Mother Hubbard Just Vegg'n (lite biscuits). I am not sure you can find these in the UK. :-|

My kids absolutely LOVE dehydrated sweet potato. They're called Sam's Yams and I get them at my local pet store. They're kind of hard and a little chewy and it takes a while for them to eat. They also bill it as an all natural dental treat. All it is is sweet potato pure and simple - no fillers, wheat, sugars, etc. I don't know if they would ship overseas, but it's worth asking. The website is www.frontporchpets.com and it's located in Nevada. This is probably their favorite treat.

I have a struggle getting my parents not to overfeed their Cavalier Fern, who has a tendancy to put on weight. When she is with us I only let her have carrots for treats so I am sure she thinks I am really mean!

I will get her some of those Burn's dried carrot treats though. I like the look of the sweet potato treats but they will have to wait until my brother visits from the US. He is quite used to odd requests for bringing things over!

The only thing I would add is that it can be easy to over use treats - Cavaliers are so cute and appealing and my two do so love their food. So they only get a treat when being left at home for a while, or for training.

I baked my own biscuits a while ago that were pretty low cal - salmon or tuna I did them - I cant remember the recipie off hand but I'll try & find it at home!

Jan - I emailed to check about ordering and was told to just put 2 items in your basket and specify what size you'd like free in the comments box when you get to that stage of the order (y) (you can order different sizes)

Hope that makes sense!

Edited to say: I forgot to mention that if you sign up for their email newsletter, they give you £3 off of your order!

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for the replies I have tried the Burns carrot treats and they are good but I am definitely ordering tonight some of those sweet potato's they look great and I will ask the Boss to do me some biscuits if you can find the recipe please Sonia.

I also use the "Sam's Yams." They are healthy, and the girls love them. Our foster, Claire had 7 teeth removed when she was vetted in Missouri, and isn't able to eat the raw snap green beens and carrots that Dottie loves. Claire is able to gnaw on it and soften it up enough to eat it. She needs to lose about 5 lbs so this is a good, filling low cal treat. I also bought a big bag of frozen green beans and thaw them to mix with her food. They are a good healthy low cal filler also.

The dehydrated yams are expensive though, and I am thinking of buying a home dehydrating unit so I can make my own.

Rice cakes with no sodium - they are crunchy and extremely low calorie. No nutritional value, but if the idea is something crunchy, harmless and edible - they work well! They are something like 45 calories for this giant rice cake, and you can break off small pieces.

Pat

Hi All

My sweet potatos came today from naturalpetchoices so I will try the girls with them later ,and I emailed frontporchpets about Sams Yams but no response and Burns are out of stock of their carrot treats so I will put some on back order .

I ordered some nice pink cheque Puppia harness,s from the website in the USA ( site name mentioned in another post) and they came last Thursday so Luke and I took them for a walk on Friday night along the prom at West Kirby and I also clipped to the harness the nightime flashing "lost in the dark " light thingy (from PAH) ,it flashes away red white and blue and with the girls have one each on them we got some fuuny looks off people as we trotted along in the dark ,all good fun and it keeps me happy.:rah:

Sweet Potato Chews

petchums
Hi guys, new to the site and just came accross this thread! I make 'Sweet Potato Chews' from home and do mail order for anyone interested. I also make 'Apple' and 'Banana' Chews which are just as yummy and healthy. I only use 100% vegetables and fruit, nothing else added and all Irish made!

If you'd like to order just email me at [email protected] and let me know how many you'd like etc. I have paypal set up so it's all secure. Price is £2.60 per bag and delivery is from between £3.50 to £4.85 depending on weight.

I'm also working on a chicken chew made from 100% chicken breast so if anyone's interested email me and I'll let you know when they're ready to order.

Ps: Opps! don't know how to attach images so here's the link to photobucket http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/ab286/petchums/?action=view&current=1.jpg

Woofs & Tail Wags!
Barbara

Last edited:
I have been dehydrating liver, sweet potato and the latest one is chicken all cut thin. My two go wild for them. I do a big batch and freeze them. The good thing is I know what's in them. The liver was a bit on the nose lol so I do them in the laundry with the door open to let the smell out quicker.:grnyuk:

Back