• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM neurologists

Love my Cavaliers

We are probably going to spend a lot of time in Tucson, Arizona this winter and take all the dogs with us. Riley (6 years old) had SM decompression surgery this summer and is doing relatively well, but I want to take her to a vet in Tucson who is knowledgeable in case anything happens while we're gone from Chicago. Do you think it is o.k. just to pick the veterinary neurologist who is listed on the CavalierHealth webpage? Dr. Peter Gordon is listed as experienced with SM (his name is in red). Riley's neurologist here did not know him, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I'll have copies of all her records and MRI scan sent to him prior to her first appointment. Can I feel secure in choosing someone from this site?

I think Rod notes on his site that this indicates only that they are neurologists known to have seen a dog or dogs with SM but isn't a recommendation -- he isn't rating or reviewing the neurologists involved at all. And he can only mark the names of those neurologists who people tell him have this experience. So it really is not a recommendation at all, just an indication that the neurologist has seen at least one dog with SM before.

Likewise there are probably many others on the list who have also seen dogs with SM and may be familiar with it in cavaliers too, but nobody has yet emailed Rod to let him know. Neurologists can differ in their approach, too -- but I am sure that it makes sense to pick someone for back-up that you know has seen SM in dogs before. You will probably want to find a good vet as your first point of reference too.

Yes, the neurologlists whose names are in red on http://www.cavalierhealth.org/neurologists.htm mean that at least one Cavalier owner has reported to CavalierHealth.org that those neurologists are familiar with SM and CM and the treatments and have access to MRI scanners. It does not mean that they are the best or better than any others. Word-of-mouth among dog owners is one of the best sources of information about neurologists.

That list of neurologists is in the process of being updated. Some of these vets tend to move around from state to state and from university to private clinic and back again, frequently.

Back