• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

It has been a rough night...

CVFlagg

I came home this evening from work and my littlest one was hopping around on three legs. He has been having trouble with a luxxating hip that I have talked about here before. I tried to get his hip in place on my own with no luck so I ran up to the vet. Two vets tried to get it in place, but were unable to and recommended that I get up early and be at the surgery center when they open.

We have been consulting with a surgeon up there, but he was hoping that we could avoid surgery and correct the problem with physical therapy since surgery equalled total hip replacement. Poor thing is being a real trooper, I have him on some painkillers until we can get to the surgeon tomorrow. I'll be up early and waiting at the door at the surgery center. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Oh I am so sorry. Will keep prayers and good thoughts going for your baby. Please keep us posted. :xfngr:

Oh poor little love. :xfngr: everything goes well for you both today. Please let us know how you get on. Thinking of you.

Poor baby. I hope that the surgeon can fix him up today. Sorry it sounds like there will be no easy fix. :flwr:

Just got off the phone with the vet surgeon and we have some not good news. The hip is permently out of the socket so they are going to need to do surgery because it is putting pressure on the pelvis. They will be removing the ball that keeps the hip in place so it no longer applies pressure to the pelvis, the scar tissue that forms will be what now holds the hip in place. He'll be in the hospital for a few days and then once he is out we will begin agressive physical therapy to get him back in shape.

The doctor said the surgery is very successful and with him being so young (2.5 years) he will be a good candidate for a full recovery. Thank you all for your thoughts and I will keep you posted, the vet is going to call after the surgery is performed this afternoon.

Poor little love. Hope the surgery all goes OK and here's sending him lots of get well wishes :flwr::flwr:

Oh goodness, that has been a very hard day for you. Are they going to do the surgery right away then? It must be uncomfortable for him with the hip out of the socket. Poor little guy! I've never heard of a surgery like that before -- that's really interesting that the scar tissue becomes the support for the joint!

Sending good thoughts your way, I am sure your little guy will be running around pain free in no time :luv:

Yes, they are going to do the surgery right away since he is so uncomfortable. They hope he will be ready to come home on Friday. After that we will do extensive physical therapy at home and also bring him in for hydro-therapy a few times a week.

The vet chose this surgery because the other which involved putting the hip back in place does not have a good success rate and most of the time, they end up having to go back in-clearly not a good thing. He said their office does not do total hip replacements on dogs his size and I would probably have to go to a veterinary teaching hospital if we needed to go that route, but he is confident this will work and he will be back in action in no time.

:( You've had a very worrying time. Hydro will help him a lot. Heres hoping the little lad will soon be feeling a whole lot better once he comes home. Oh, and a nice bunch of flowers for you.:flwr::flwr:

A friend of mine had this surgery done on her toy poodle, who was several years older than your lad. It was very successful, so I hope it works as well for him.

Kate and Oliver

Just heard from the vet, surgery went well and he is recovering. He hopes to get him home tomorrow, says they always heal faster in their own bed. I'm going to check in in the morning and we will go from there. Thanks again for all of your support, he's my "little guy" so I always worry about him.

Back