• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Exercise

emibean

Does anyone have a cavalier who hates to exercise?
Our 11 month old is sooooo lazy.He is a TRUE lapdog. I beleive that every dog needs to walk(I'm not talking marathon here). I guess I just have to accept him for what he is.
Thanks.
shawna

Walking

YES! I thought I was the only one - my lady really doesn't like walks at all, she flops and gives dirty looks while you are putting on her harness. We nearly have to drag her out the door to go for a walk, she really doesn't enjoy it at all (my other dog, however, loves them and jumps about the place when the leads are produced!). While on the walk she is ok, but when we turn back she is busting her bum to get home. We get home and won't see her for ages because she has buggered off to sleep :rolleyes:

I think Cavaliers who are used to walking regularly are more likely to enjoy walking. (just like people!)

My dogs both love to walk. Seriously, Lucky has me trained. He'll wait to poop until he has decided it's okay to turn around and go home because he knows sometimes I'll end the walk after he's pooped! I like walking them because it helps keep them thin. Cavaliers love food so much that it is very easy for them to get overweight if they don't exercise.

We just walked about a mile this evening and typically do a couple miles a day starting with a long walk in the morning right before I leave for work. Sparky is a rescue and wan't leash trained when I got him but absolutely lives for his walks. For him I think every walk is a new adventure.

One thought I had - do you try to do the same walk each time? There are some walks that Lucky doesn't like to do - for example, he does not want to walk near the ball field when there are kids there - for some reason kids scare him, so he'll put on the brakes if I want to walk that way, but will happily walk in another direction. Just a thought. Hope you can get him to exercise a bit more so he can indulge in more treats. :lol:

Taking dogs somewhere can also get them jump-started on walking -- eg the park is a lot more interest and fun than the same local streets. It is really, really important for them to get exercise though. And why not make any walk more fun -- bring along a pocket of treats, and do some activities with rewards while walking -- ask for sits, downs, etc. Finally for a dog that really baulks at walks -- next time at the vet I'd ask for the dog to be thoroughly checked to make sure the problem isn't actually to do with joints (patellas and hips can be an issue with cavaliers, and of course arthritis in older dogs), the heart might be an issue, pulling on collars, backs can be sore, etc.

Karlin beat me to it - I would definitely get his knees, hips and other joints checked. Talk with your vet for any input or ideas of how to get your little lap dog more active! :rah:

Mindy is 10 1/2 and she lives for her walks. She sometimes delays her morning poop too because her morning walk is short and we usually turn back after she poops. We do a longer walk in the afternoon and on weekends.

Casey likes walks but knows when we're heading back home (no matter how I try to fool him) and wants to pull. I have him pretty well trained not to pull, but I can tell it's hard for him to control.:p We always call him a "homebody" like his Daddy.

Charlie likes his walks, but not the change from warm house to cold outdoors.

I really need to teach this dog how to fetch however

Sally loves her walks too! She seems to be so fit that we walk up to 3 miles and she still has bags of energy. I sometimes wish there were more places that are safe for her to have a good run off the lead but most places are not safe. This is why I love the breed because they are a lap dog and yet have the energy of much bigger dogs. I would certainly get your dog checked out by the vet to rule out any painful areas. Good luck

Does anyone have a cavalier who hates to exercise?
Our 11 month old is sooooo lazy.He is a TRUE lapdog. I beleive that every dog needs to walk(I'm not talking marathon here). I guess I just have to accept him for what he is.
Thanks.
shawna

Hi Shawna,
I can definitely identify with that! My 2 year old, Toby hates having to walk. I got him in February this year as his previous owners hadn't the time to walk him. I thought he would eventually come to love walks but no! he sometimes point blankly refuses to get out of the car :eek: When we go to forest parks or walk in fields he starts to cry and moan after 10 minutes, I brought him straight to the vet who checked his hips, joints and patellas and couldn't find a problem. When we visit my parents Dublin (suburban area) he walks for hours sniffing lamp post etc. Unfortunately there are not many lamp posts in rural Limerick :D

I think dogs are the same as people - some like excericse more than others. My two love their walks but if its raining they will point blank refuse to go out. Molly is also much more athletic than Bella, she loves to run and adores being off lead. I tried Bella at agility and after 5 minutes she gave up and refused to do any more :rolleyes: (she's my little princess :)) but Molly loves agility.

For peace of mind though I would get him checked by a vet then you can relax and come to terms you have a couch potato dog ;)

Walking

My lady has had all her joints checked, heart and lung function taken etc and everything came up ace. She is walked everyday at least once (if not twice), and we vary it up to stop ourselves getting bored but she still dislikes it. Very odd :rolleyes:

Both of mine are good walkers - but then Toby was brought up with my late Welsh Springer Becky, who, even with a dodgy leg, needed quite a lot of exercise. They both walk around fields with no problems and love to run off the lead.

My Mum's dog Fern is different though. She is smaller and more 'delicate' than my two (ie: doesn't like mud or wet ground, long grass........etc etc) and isn't keen on walking with my two when she is over with us. I think she feels that the walks I take her on are most uncivilised compared to her usual sedate town ambles. But she was a ex-breeding dog and hadn't even worn a collar when we got her at 3 years old, so maybe that is why.

Fern does like to walk just round the local park when back at home with my father though, and I think that is because she feels that her public need to see her. She loves being made a fuss of and I think that is the only reason why she tolerates going out at all! She would much rather be curled up on a lap in a warm dry room.

Fern does like to walk just round the local park when back at home with my father though, and I think that is because she feels that her public need to see her. She loves being made a fuss of and I think that is the only reason why she tolerates going out at all!

:lol: Bless her!!

Too funny about Fern. For a long time Mindy did NOT like getting her feet wet. I believe she also thought it very uncivilized. Now though she'll walk through puddles or mud with the best of them (I kind of wished she still walked around them).

Sparks LOVES his walkeeees, he gets a small walk in the morning & then a longer one at night & he dosnt mind either way, at the weekend we try to take them somewhere differant though.

Cass loves walks when it's not cold r wet - she wears a coat & does come when the weather is bad bt you can tell she's not really into it!

Thanks for all the replies.
He has been checked by the vet and she says that he is "a true lap dog".We have always tried to do something different with him: hike in the woods,walk the beach,play soccer or fetch,etc.....nothing seems to get him too excited.
Oh well. he is what he is. He is a lover,though:)
shawna

Back