• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

reaction to rabies shot?

sunshinekisses

Sunshine got her 3 year rabies shot today and now she is hiding in her crate...she doesn't want to come out and when I made her come out her tail was tucked. Do you think the shot is making her feel ill?

Has she had the rabies before with no problems? The 3 year rabies is the same formula as the 1 year (that is according to my vet), so it shouldn't be a problem if it hasn't been in the past.

When Charlie got his 1 year rabies shot he developed a hard bump on his neck. The vet said sometimes they have reactions like that. It took 2 weeks but it finally went away.

I hope she's okay.

I would call your vet. Have you felt the area where the shot was given to see if there are any lumps? In the future there are things that you can give that are supposed to help prevent any negative reactions (I give Lyssin from my homeopath vet). My Truman got really sick from the Parvo vaccine but was fine with the Rabies vaccine (he wasn't given any homepathic remedies/supplements before his Parvo vaccine). The Rabies can be hard on them so I would make sure there's nothing serious going on...is she eating normally?

Thanks, she is feeling better and totally herself the next morning. I think the shot may have caused her tiredness but I can't be certain.

Thanks, she is feeling better and totally herself the next morning. I think the shot may have caused her tiredness but I can't be certain.

People are the same way... If your bodies immune system was busy dealing with other issues (even minor ones) an inoculation can make you tired or even a bit ill. My daughter works in the health care field and opted to get a flu shot (a bit to my dismay), she was ill for 4 days later.

my dog always sleeps all day after a shot. I joke she's angry with me for taking her, but the vet said it's just a normal reaction unless you have vomiting or pain.

i'd still call the vet though, if you're concerned.

Back