• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My fears have been confirmed

sugarkane74

We're back and it's not good news.. she has SM. It is very mild though. A very thin line hows along her spine where the CSF is. I'm not very good at getting my head round it, sorry. The neurologist was a very nice (quite young) lady, she did all the tests which my little Star didn't like very much, she did a lot of drooling through stress, but she was such a good little girl.

She pressed along her spine and neck, no yelping thankfully. They took her off for an MRI and also said they may do a spinal tap. In the end they didn't do the spinal tap though coz the MRI showed what they were probs expecting to see after describing her symptoms. I asked about surgery but she said she wouldn't even consider it with how mild it is at the moment. I have to give her 1 tablet (Gabapentin) every 8 hrs for the rest of her life or until there are any changes and I have to keep a daily diary and let them know if she gets worse in the next 3 wks or if the medication seems to work. She couldn't tell me about Star's outcome though as she said every dog is different but she did says she's seen other young pups who have yelped just at being touched along the spine so that gave me a bit of hope.

I'm so upset but I just knew she had it. I'm relieved in one way that i know now and we can get it treated but it scares me that she is so young to have this horrible thing. We just have to take it a day at a time now. My husband is gonna phone the lady we got her from just to make her aware. She did say she was getting Stars mum spayed as she was only having the one litter but how do we know she was telling the truth... plus the owners of Stars brothers and sisters should be made aware.

Keep crying on and off at the moment..
Just want to say thanks to everyone for your warm wishes and just wish I had better news to tell you.

Oh, gosh, I'm sorry. I was so hoping for better news for little Star. I know you must be shocked and inconsolable right now. At least her case is mild and you caught it early. I'm sure it's very hard to look at the bright side when someone tells you your dog has SM, but it's wonderful that you know what you're dealing with and can start treatment immediately. I really admire you for following up on your gut instinct and doing the right thing for Star.

Many hugs coming to you and Star :hug:from across the ocean,

Lori

I am so sorry to hear your sad news about star. i really hopethat the tablets take effect and help her. I can't even imagine how you are feeling at the moment, bu just wanted to say i'm thinking of you and star. :hug:

the bright side is you know for definate now and you can treat her and make sure she is as comfortable as can be.

give her a gentle kiss from me and licks from Peaches

I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope the medicine helps her to live a normal, happy life and I am heartened to hear that it is mild, at least.

It makes you wonder how many of our little Cavalier angels have this horrible disease? And they wonder why we all got so up in arms about the documentary?

I am so sorry about Star. You will have a better opportunity to prevent it from worsening by knowing early like you do. If surgery becomes neccessary, you can get it done before the SM causes permanent damage.

Hugs to you both.

So sorry to learn of this... your instincts were correct. With such a loving & intuitive mom, Star is sure lucky to be in your hands!

I am so sorry to hear about Star, it is just so very sad to hear another one of our cavaliers has been diagnosed with SM, sending you and Star :luv: :hug: :flwr: Thanks to your instincts Star is now receiving the best treatment sooner rather then later.

Last edited:
I'm very sorry :flwr: It's wonderful that you caught it early and can treat it somewhat, or at least manage any pain. I'm sure many a pet owner has spent years wondering about the symptoms you noticed.

I'm sorry to hear Star's diagnosis, beautiful sweet girl. You were quick to see her troubles and you've spared her some difficulties by getting physician direction now. She is and always will be your Star-she didn't change because of the diagnosis-and she'll always be happy one day at a time.:hug::hug::hug:

I'm so sorry that it has turned out this way:hug:, but at least now you know for sure. You followed your instincts, and now Star is on medication which should combat any pain she has been feeling:flwr:

Big :hug::hug: to you and Star.....It must be devastating to get news like that with such a young pup:(

Such horrible news to receive but at least you now know,you can concentrate on giving her the best help she needs,she's still your little Star and she is beautiful.Thinking of you and Little Star :lotsaluv::lotsaluv:

Thinking of you all - you are a fab cavi owner to get this sorted so quickly :lotsaluv:. I know you feel devastated at the moment, Tilly was diagnosed at just over a year - she was showing symptoms from just 6 months! Theres no getting away from it SM is the pits - however with early diagnosis and gabapentin every 8 hours you can still have a pretty active little dog - with a great quality of life. Tilly was 2 on Friday - she is a complete delight, the gabapentin seems to be working and like you we are determined to give our girl the best possible life and enjoy her to the full.
Keep going - sending you a big hug :luv:

We're so sorry to hear this news, just wanted to pass on some :hug::hug::hug:from all of us

Back