Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My fears have been confirmed

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry to hear that your fears were confirmed. I was thinking about you this morning and hoping you were wrong. It makes me scared how many Cavaliers really got SM. It makes me scared for my three. It’s good you found out now so her medication gets sorted and she can live a pain free live. Please keep us updated. Sending you and Star lots of love and .
    Sabby
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everybody.. it's very heartening to hear you're all thinking about us.

She's started her medication tonight so hope that helps her with any discomfort or pain she may have been feeling. Just breaks my heart coz she's such a sweet little thing and hate thinking of this horrible thing happening to her.

Thank you again from both of us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry you got this result back on your MRI.

To give some context, many dogs would MRI with SM and have no symptoms. At least a third of every research sample so far has MRI'd with SM, for example, even though the majority of those dogs showed no clinical signs on a neurological exam. So it actually is not too unusual that an MRId cavalier would show a syrinx. But a tiny syrinx of the type you are describing also usually isn't symptomatic according to several neurologists, and may never even be a concern for the dog, who may well lead a totally normal life.

Did your neurologist confirm she is showing enough actual signs of discomfort from this condition to have been put straight on to a high-level painkiller like gabapentin? Especially if she couldn't initiate any discomfort in her spine for example? To me, this would all be quite important -- I wouldn't want to start a dog on a drug that generally tends to lose effectiveness over time due to a build up of tolerance to it unless there's a real and very clear reason she should be on gabapentin. Most neurologists start with just a CSF inhibitor and if a painkiller is needed, move to NSAIDS. Gabapentin only comes much further down the line unless the dog is really showing signs of discomfort at the time it gets examined. Even then many neurologists just start them first for a trial on a CSF drug. So jumping straight to gabapentin 3 times a day just seems very excessive. It took ages before I moved Leo to 3x adn he had very, very clear symptoms and a medium sized syrinx already.

If a dog is not symptomatic generally you'd really only use something like frusemide or cimetidine, as per Dr Rusbridge's treatment document. That's all I use with Lily. Her neurologist did not even feel any of the signs she does show were due to her syrinx as it is tiny. He thought it more likely to be something a CSF inhibitor would manage quite well.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

It may take 2 or 3 of weeks before you see the gabapenin working fully. Dylan is on the same but 200mg divided into 3 doses, I make up the capsules myself. My neurologist didn't want to used CSF steroids straight away.

The dose depends on weight of course.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry about your SM diagnosis. Hopefully you will be on the right track for future care now.

Other than the scratching, did she seem to be in alot of pain? I was just wondering if in a mild case where a small syrinx is confirmed but the dog just has several scratching sessions a day, but otherwise seems happy and okay, do Vets always prescribe pain medication right away?
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

i'm so sorry about this news.

just wanted to say star is really lucky to have you looking out for her.

sending you good thoughts from los angeles.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to have to either speak to the neurologist or my vet and ask about the drugs Star has been put on then. I didn't realise it was such a big painkiller.

I'll also have to ask about how much discomfort they think she is in. To me, it just seems to be the scratching, in herself she's still the mad little thing we bought home, running about the place etc. She did mention though that she has stiffness in one of her back legs and had I noticed but I haven't noticed this at all coz like I said she runs around like a mad thing and I've never seen any problems in her legs.

She did say she didn't want to put her on steroids yet.. are steroids to do with reducing the CSF flow? I should have asked all this there and then but all I wanted to do was get her home.

She was going to write up her report and send me and my vet a copy so will wait for that then start making some calls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry you're going through this.

Drugs that reduce CSF flow are diuretics like Lasix, or proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole (Prilosec) and Cimetidine (Tagamet).

Steroids are much stronger and wouldn't be used long term in many cases.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry to hear the result, however fingers crossed it's a problem that does not cause any major concerns in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that Star has SM, but at least you know what you are dealing with.
    Sandra
    Minnie-May (6yrs) & Rosie the Rescue (approx 6 yrs)
    My Darling Cinders and Lady Jane waiting at the Bridge