• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is She Itchy?

Shivers

We just recently adopted a 4 year old female tri-colour cav and she is a little darling. She has this odd habit though, she seems to scratch herself against the carpet. Mostly she would be between the living room or kitchen where there is no carpet but she doesnt seem bothered but once she is in the hall where we do have carpet, she rolls on to her back as if she is scratching? :eek::eek: Any ideas why this is?
She seems in good health generally but she does seem to scratch at one of her ears as well. Could she have fleas do you think?
We gave her a bath tonight with flea shampoo tonight and I had a good look at her while I was drying her and I couldn't see anything.

Thanks all, hope everyone is well this evening :p

She needs to see a vet. There are a lot of things that could be causing itchy ears from ear mites, which are extremely uncomfortable and need treatment right away, to ear infections. These must be diagnosed and treated by a vet. You also should be aware of syringomyelia if you do treat her ears and this doesn't stop, or the vet can find no reason for the scratching. Every cavalier owner should be familiar with the signs of both MVD and SM as these are the two leading, serious health issues in the breed.

There's info in the Library section on both and I have SM info here: www.smcavalier.com

Hi and welcome!icon_welcome

If you haven't already taken her to a vet,then I think she could do with a visit and check up.
She may have earmites or fleas that flea shampoo won't deal with.
Stronghold is a liquid that you put onto her back between the shoulder blades which kills fleas,mites and worms.It's about €9 and works very well.
If you've already been to the vet then you can buy this over the counter from your vet without needing a consultation.
Sins

My 5 year old ruby loves to roll over onto her back on the carpet and "scratch" herself. She has done this forever, but only on carpet, never on the wood floors. I've never interpreted it as anything except that it makes her feel good. Actually, she reminds me of my husband going up to a corner wall and scratching his back!

Ok thanks all, I think we will just take her to the vet to be on the safe side. Her previous owner said she had been recently and is apparently very healthy but her coat was quite matted when we got her so not she if she was getting the attention we were told she was getting.
Anyway, not to worry. My husbag is home with her today so ill get him to take her to the vet :p

I took some lovely pictures of her last night, post bath and she just looks so fluffy and gorgeous :luv:

We only have two areas with carpet in our house, but we have two dogs who rub on the carpet as you described every morning. They also go ape when we visit my folks, who have carpet in EVERY ROOM! It's heaven. The love it.

Given your dog's health history and possible skin conditions from matting, it is probably a good idea to visit your vet. But it is still possible it's just a behavior the dog enjoys.

see what the vets say, but Cookie does exactly the same thing when she's happy. You give her a biscuit and she'll roll all over the carpet or find anything to headbutt, especially the stairs, cushions or curtains. also if we have been out all day and she runs indoors and rolls all over the carpet as she's so happy to be home... so it may just be her being content lol

3044272870_4d677b0e68_m.jpg
3044266718_0746e79762_m.jpg
3043433431_1b184323b3_m.jpg
3044270772_7084ae8e69_m.jpg
3043439323_d8e7f28cc4_m.jpg
3043441107_ec0db52654_m.jpg

she'l walk along the carpet rubbing her head on the floor and sticking her bottom in the air then you'll hear a thump when her butt hits the ground and she'll roll from side to side on her back. She even tries to do this on her treats or toys!

All my Cavaliers have loved rolling on carpet - and they roll on the grass too when we're out walking, often on a weed which obviously smells good to them (I haven't managed to identify the particular plant, and fortunately I can't smell it!). Orrible Oliver also much enjoys rolling in fox droppings.... And there was the dead fish at the edge of the river, and the slimey grass clippings that someone had dumped in the canal just where he decided to paddle... I pretend he doesn't belong to me on the bus journey home!

Kate and Oliver

YEP! mine do that too, but whenever i scratch on "tucka's" back he rolls over and grunts in a happy way! i think its normal for all dogs! :p:)

Rajacadoo:lotsaluv:

Back