• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

43 lb cavalier in weight challenge

The owner said,"Bo's favourites are bread and butter and toast. And I'm guilty of giving him two or three pigs' ears a day – on top of his fresh chicken and dog food.":eek:

Butter and Toast, and oh my god 3 pigs ears a day? :sl*p:
What is the owner thinking? :confused:

That's so sad. Somehow I got complacent with Mindy and the next thing I knew she was overweight. Bringing it down has not been easy but at 21.1 pounds she is only a pound or two away from her best weight.

Whoa!!! That is one huge Cavalier. Hopefully the owner will learn a good lesson on proper care and feeding after this weight loss challenge.

Dottie is just under 16 lbs, and at her perfect weight, but our foster girl Claire Bear is a little tubby at 21lbs. She needs to lose at least 4 or 5 lbs and we are working on that now. It's amazing how heavy she feels when carried...and she LOVES to be carried. I can't imagine trying to heft a Cavalier over 40lbs! :eek:

OMG!! That owner should be ashamed of herself. and the poor thing is only 2 years old! I was feeling guilty that dougal was weighing in at a hefty 10kg. Dora is only 6 and a half. Dougal's goal for the moment is 9kg, as he's a much bigger dog than Dora anyway (and must have about 1kg of hair).

We were out for a walk last night and a man stopped to tell us he had 'one of those' at home. Then he went on to say "but yours are just pups, aren't they" :lol: I asked him if it was a cavalier he had, thinking he must have a cocker or something and was mixing them up, but no, he confirmed it was a blenheim that was at least "3 times the size of them... built like a tank.". Then he told me I shouldn't be walking them too much because they suffer from bad hearts. Easy knowing his doesn't get much exercise!

My mother's tricolor was 42 lbs when he arrived as a two year old rescue.
He's still a very big boy and has lost weight over the last ten months but still has lots more to lose.He's due back to the vet for weighing at the end of the month.He has a walk on scales which saves your back.:p
He's also the tallest cavalier I've ever seen, not to mention the hairiest.
I must get some new pictures when I'm up in the next fortnight.
There's a lot of work involved in keeping his coat but they're determined to resist clipping him.
Sins

19.75kg!!:eek: How sad. My dogs are all their perfect weight, last time I weighed them, Mirra was 5,8 kg, Molder was 8,8 kg and Fjalar 9,0 kg.
And three pigs' ears a day, what is wrong with people? Doesn't the owner realize that this could make the dog very sick?

I cannot say a lot my Barney is one of the biggest cavaliers I have seen compared to Jake & Sam he is tall, longer, bigger,we walk every day and he runs after leaves and any thing that moves in front of him but he is one of the most laid back dogs you could wish to meet at home he does not get pigs ear at all
----Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

It's unhealthy and the owners should be more resonsible, but for some reason I find pictures of fat dogs funny.

Bit like on Funny clip tv shows when the kid gets a football in the face - you feel sorry they are crying but find the event quite funny.

Poor wee thing, what a weight to carry, and he's only 2! Hopefully he will slim down to prevent longterm health issues:(

I can sort of see how easy it could be to overfeed your dog, nevermind your Cav, with their big brown eyes. Hopefully its just been a case of the owner being ignorant to the health issuse that could stem from it, and now that she is better educated she will know better(y)

Good luck to Bo and his owner:flwr:

Despite all our efforts, Daisy is a tubby little girl, and I know what you mean about picking them up and carrying them! It's all I can do to heft her out of the laundry sink after a bath and carry her to the chair where I hold her in the towel for a while. She's long, tall, and chubby and quite an armload especially when dripping wet! I can't even imagine another 15 pounds added to Daisy's weight!

Daisy's only had one pig ear in her life, but she LIVES for food. She eats her dinner (between a third and half a cup of Wellness Healthy Weight) and then immediately goes to the pantry door where her food and treats are kept and starts scratching at the door and occasionally even lets out a yip or two in utter desperation. It's as if she's starved to death! It's pathetic and she probably needs to be completely cut off of treats, but I haven't had the heart to do it. When she goes into the crate she always gets a "deluxe" treat, usually either a greenie or a piece of dried chicken breast wrapped around a piece of apple or sweet potato. (Free Range brand). So she ends up getting one or two of that type of thing a day as we come and go, plus maybe a couple of tiny liver treats if she does her tricks (about the size of my little fingernail). That's it, but she manages to keep her weight at about 28 pounds. The vet says her ideal weight is about 23 in his opinion.

It is a constant battle for me and a source of guilt that I haven't managed to get her down to where she should be. I can't even imagine her desperation for food if we did get her down there! She'd probably eat her own foot or something!

Mindy currently feels like she's being starved some days too :-(.

I can't imagine why I have never thought of bathing her in my laundry tub - that's perfect. Thank you for the idea.

With all the health problems with Cavaliers I just do not know how the owner could let this poor dog get to this weight, the strain on the heart must be immense. All the other conditions associated with obesity must surely make the owner stop and think before giving one more pigs ear and toast and butter.:confused:

I feel so bad for that poor overweight boy! :(

I keep my dogs at their ideal weights, 16-18 lbs - it isn't easy at all and takes a bit of effort! They often scratch the cupboards and stare at the cupboard & drawers where their treats and food are kept. Every evening after dinner, I give them their cow hooves to chew on (and Geordie gets a bully stick sometimes) for an hour or so (then I trade them a few pieces of kibble to get the chews back), then they sleep on the sofa next to me while we watch TV. It's fairly easy to establish a schedule with them so they have certain expectations. We just cannot give in every time they want to eat - one breeder told us "a hungry cavalier is a healthy cavalier."

That's just tragic - the problem is the long term damage that being overweight does to them too.

I have a foster rescue here, he is 15 kg - I can hardly lift him :( He is a larger Cavalier, but should be 11kg maximum...

His legs are all splayed out, he waddles rather than walks - I will get some video of him to put up - it's not funny at all, it's tragic. :mad:

He has a sore back from carrying this weight, he also finds it very hard to walk on hard surfaces.

He needs to have an operation but is currently too overweight to risk the anaesthetic...

Cavaliers are very good at making us feel guilty - they always manage to look half starved...you just have to learn not to give in, as Cathy says you can quickly create a routine. Most of them will happily eat raw veg such as carrots, things like rice cakes which are quite filling but very low in calories. Also things like James Wellbeloved large breed kibble makes a decent sized biscuit for a Cavalier, and isn't full of rubbish or high in fat/calories. You can get smallish bags.

Lots of short walks and general activity around the house and garden will also help them lose weight.

Back