• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Keeping a diary

sugarkane74

Our neurologist recommended I keep a diary everyday regarding Star and her SM... is anyone else doing this and what sort of thing are you keeping tabs on??

Should I be saying that she's eating and playing ok or just recording how often she scratches and stuff like that made me suspicisous in the first place?

Yes, I keep one for Jack. I record when he has attacks, how long they last, what time they occur. I also note the medication he is on, his general mood/energy level, and any other notable behaviors... like his left back hind leg start giving out when he had attacks. It has been extremely helpful in noticing patterns for both us and the vet. And also for determining if there is actual progression vs. my paranoid imagination. I should probably count how many times a day he scratches too, but that seems difficult. Also, I should note that I record things only when there is something happening. He is good for weeks at a time, and then I don't record things.

We kept a diary of Charlie's pain episodes, medication (very complex med schedule), bowel movements (since it caused him pain and he had problems), and his activity levels. My sister cared for him during the day when I had to go to the office to work, and she kept a log of anything notable for us. Keeping a diary not only helps you answer vets' questions, but also is a way to track of quality of life issues, too.

Whenever Charlie had a day where he played with toys, chewed a bully stick, sniffed around outside, or barked at birds, etc. we felt he had a good day. Later, it became very obvious when his quality of life was slipping. I think it is very helpful to keep a diary. :flwr::flwr::flwr:

Ilsa doesn't have many pain attacks so I track them to keep track of frequency, otherwise I forget and don't realize if they come more or less often.

It helps me to be aware
Jen

Back