Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie's heart

Post Thanks / Like

Default Charlie's heart

Well Charlie went to the vet today to get an xray and ecocardiogram on his heart and now has a couple of bald patches to show for it.

The diagnosis is Pulmonic Stenosis - essentially a faulty valve blocking blood trying to exit the heart - and quite a serious case.

He will need surgery, and this would have to be done in Edinburgh - preferably in a month - but it should fix the problem apparantly.

This is not without it's risks however, there is a 5 - 10% chance he won't make it through the surgery, but if left then he would be looking at heart failure in 1 - 2 years.

He is only 14 weeks old. Cruel world at times eh?

At £1500 I am certainly glad I took that insurance out

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear that... My Andy had bad times recently too because of car accident and he made it through, so I wish Charlie the same luck... Many from me and Andy...

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Charlie! it must be heartening to know the opration could help him so much!

Can i just suggest checking you insurance documents (in case you get a shock later) i have a 7 month old who has been poorly from practically day one, as she showed symptoms (and was seen by vet so documented) withiin the first 14 days of my insurance policy, none of her current issues relating to origional symptoms are covered.

I just thought i would mention this so you know for definate about the insurance. I am with morethan, i dont know if other policies have the same 'settling in' period/'get out' clause.
    Emily with her furry monsters
    Cariad (Ruby) Jan 2009 & Lily (Westie) May 2007

Gone but never forgotten... Baby Bailey (Blenheim) 10th April 2008~25.02.09

Post Thanks / Like

I believe a sympton (the murmur) was discovered in the first 14 days which is why I am concerned - just hoping the continued cover beyond the first 6 weeks (which I signed up for beforehand) covers it as it was diagnosed after the 14 days.

The first signs of a murmur by a vey, the confirmation by a cardiologist and the diagnosis by testing. Just depends how strict they are.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd maybe ring for piece of mind, Bailey had a cough within the first few days of her insurance, and i have been told by the vets that now i will not be covered for any heart probs as the insurance company will link the cough to her heart prob (as can be a clear sign) even though so far there a[[ears to be no probs with her heart. it's really frustrating, and i completely understand your concern - i have spent between £600&£1000 over past 5 months on vet bills and cant claim any back due to this clause. I found the info in the "small print" of the documents they sent out, maybe ifyou know where these are you could dig them out, also ask ur vet as they are prob used to filling out claim forms.

I really hope you can claim, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    Emily with her furry monsters
    Cariad (Ruby) Jan 2009 & Lily (Westie) May 2007

Gone but never forgotten... Baby Bailey (Blenheim) 10th April 2008~25.02.09

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to ring the vets first and mention the concern. they may "forget" the first incident

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I am so sorry
    Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)
    Cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky& Sam
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference.Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Charlie, what a lot to go through at his age

Hugs for both of you at this difficult time

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry this is happening to you and Charlie. We're hoping for the best outcome.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear the poor little fella's unwell. You are doing your best for him though and thats great.

Re Insurance: Probably a bit too late for you now, but if currently uninsured, or still in first few weeks of Policy it is best to talk to your vet 'off the record' with your concerns. I mentioned something to our vet on Monday about our new Cav and he said "Well blah blah blah, BUT dont tell me that for at least another 6 weeks!!.