• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie's heart

Sumilidon

Well Charlie went to the vet today to get an xray and ecocardiogram on his heart and now has a couple of bald patches to show for it.

The diagnosis is Pulmonic Stenosis - essentially a faulty valve blocking blood trying to exit the heart - and quite a serious case.

He will need surgery, and this would have to be done in Edinburgh - preferably in a month - but it should fix the problem apparantly.

This is not without it's risks however, there is a 5 - 10% chance he won't make it through the surgery, but if left then he would be looking at heart failure in 1 - 2 years.

He is only 14 weeks old. Cruel world at times eh?

At £1500 I am certainly glad I took that insurance out

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear that... My Andy had bad times recently too because of car accident and he made it through, so I wish Charlie the same luck... Many :hug: from me and Andy...

Poor Charlie! it must be heartening to know the opration could help him so much!

Can i just suggest checking you insurance documents (in case you get a shock later) i have a 7 month old who has been poorly from practically day one, as she showed symptoms (and was seen by vet so documented) withiin the first 14 days of my insurance policy, none of her current issues relating to origional symptoms are covered.

I just thought i would mention this so you know for definate about the insurance. I am with morethan, i dont know if other policies have the same 'settling in' period/'get out' clause.

I believe a sympton (the murmur) was discovered in the first 14 days which is why I am concerned - just hoping the continued cover beyond the first 6 weeks (which I signed up for beforehand) covers it as it was diagnosed after the 14 days.

The first signs of a murmur by a vey, the confirmation by a cardiologist and the diagnosis by testing. Just depends how strict they are.

I'd maybe ring for piece of mind, Bailey had a cough within the first few days of her insurance, and i have been told by the vets that now i will not be covered for any heart probs as the insurance company will link the cough to her heart prob (as can be a clear sign) even though so far there a[[ears to be no probs with her heart. it's really frustrating, and i completely understand your concern - i have spent between £600&£1000 over past 5 months on vet bills and cant claim any back due to this clause. I found the info in the "small print" of the documents they sent out, maybe ifyou know where these are you could dig them out, also ask ur vet as they are prob used to filling out claim forms.

I really hope you can claim, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I'm so sorry this is happening to you and Charlie. We're hoping for the best outcome. :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw::flwr:

Sorry to hear the poor little fella's unwell. You are doing your best for him though and thats great.

Re Insurance: Probably a bit too late for you now, but if currently uninsured, or still in first few weeks of Policy it is best to talk to your vet 'off the record' with your concerns. I mentioned something to our vet on Monday about our new Cav and he said "Well blah blah blah, BUT dont tell me that for at least another 6 weeks!!.

So sorry to hear about poor Charlie - I know this is a problem in the breed but it is fairly rare, so it is very unfortunate to be dealing with this, especially with such a young chap - although I guess it's better to know now and something can be done about it.

I'm not sure where Charlie came from, but it is worth telling hte breeder - sadly some of them don't want to know, but a responsible breeder WILL want to know, as it affects their breeding program. At the very least, they should not repeat that mating.

Do check with both your vet and the insurance company - is he insured through the Kennel Club?

oh, so sorry about Charlie! I hope he has a successful surgery and a smooth recovery. I will be thinking of you. Keep us posted.

Did your breeder not have this little fellows heart checked before letting you have him? If you completed your transfer of ownership with K.C. you should have also had insurance from them.
I agree with Nicky you should definately let the breeder know.
Lesley

Sorry to hear you and Charlie are going through this...Thinking of you both and wishing Charlie well.

Unfortunately Charlie was from what I now know to be a puppy farm. Vets 4 Pets are the ones who apparantly heard nothing (which another vet graded between 3 and 6).

The owner of the farm just doesn't care. Waiting to see if the insurance will cover it before I take it through trading standards and report him to Derwentside council.

Back