• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I have just put a comment on breed notes

Rod, in one of your posts on Dog World you mention two types of surgery, foramen magnum decompression surgeries and suboccipital decompression surgeries. Would you or anyone else mind explaining the difference to me please?

For a few weeks I have felt that the Dog World breed notes have been just a little biased.
Today I posted a comment and some information, that may address the balance a little.
http://www.dogworld.co.uk/Breeds/BreedsHome.aspx?nodeID=264

Margaret C

Have just read your post on above site. Could not find the link you referred to Re scratching and allergies. Please you could let us have it here on Cavalier talk.
Cheers Nanette

Rod, in one of your posts on Dog World you mention two types of surgery, foramen magnum decompression surgeries and suboccipital decompression surgeries. Would you or anyone else mind explaining the difference to me please?

That was my mistake. They actually are two different names for the same type of surgery. I must have been thinking of Geoffrey Skerritt's insertion of a shunt, rather than removing the supraoccipital bone, as the other form. I don't know what he calls that, but it apparently works for his patients.

Mr Skerritt has been carrying out decompression surgery for some time now too - he has done 30 - 40. He doesn't broach the meninges though, he says this gives a quicker recovery, but obviously does not have the long term results that Dr Clare Rusbridge and others have.

My understanding is that sometimes the cerebellum is adhered to the meninges {where they have been forced together from the pressure} so that has to be addressed - I'm not sure how Mr Skerritt deals with this situation.

I'm not sure whether Mr Skerritt does still do shunt surgeries - I know some neurologists have done both procedures at the same time - eg Dr Carly Abramson in the US.

I added my two cents...for what it's worth! I wish the points made by Bet (if you can call them "points") were made with an ounce of research and clarity. I truly don't think she understands the CONDITION at all.

Back