• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Would you feel able to help when your SM Cavalier dies?

Margaret C

My apologies, as I know that this subject will make some members feel uncomfortable, or even revive sad memories, but all our dogs will die at some time, and there will be some owners who could find it a positive thing to know that their loss may help unravel some of the mysteries of SM

Last year, while on the health committee of the Cavalier Club, I arranged for ten deceased cavaliers to be collected and delivered to Cambridge University for research into health problems in the breed. After post-mortem the cavaliers were individually cremated and the ashes returned to their owners

Professor Nick Jefffery & Dr Clare Rusbridge are now collaborating on a research project that will study the spinal cords from ten dead cavaliers that had SM confirmed by MRI scan when still alive.
The details of the scheme are not completely finalised, but it will be expensive, as our aim is to cover the cost of transporting the dead pet, the cost of the post mortem, and the cost of an individual cremation & return of the ashes to the owner.

With the help of the cavalier owners on this list and hopefully, some of the guests that are visiting, we intend to raise the money needed for this project, and to arrange for SM affected dogs to be donated when they die.

There is a group that have already started fundraising for this project, and I have spent the last few days putting donated Cavalier King Charles Spaniel items on ebay.
There are some nice little models, books, pictures & some old Cavalier Club Yearbooks. Go and look, or put something up on ebay yourself & donate the money.
We are all in this together.

I have asked the Cavalier Club if they would like to provide some funding for this scheme, and I am waiting for their reply
This could be such a wonderful way for pet owners & breed club members to work together on this terrible health problem that is afflicting our lovely breed.

All Cavalier owners are different. Many will not be comfortable at the thought of donating their pet’s body for research, preferring to know they are buried in a favourite spot. Some owners will not want their cavalier touched after death. There are others, however, who would feel positive about donating their dogs, providing they have the ashes back and they can decide on their pet’s last resting place.

The death of a much loved pet is a very emotional occasion and decisions made on the spur of the moment may later be regretted. It is something that is best thought through before the loss occurs.

I will be very happy to talk to owners of frail or elderly dogs that have an SM diagnosis, if they feel they could consider donating their cavalier to this scheme
For Guests to this site who may be interested, my email is mareve-ckcs@ ntlworld.com.

Margaret C

Last edited:
Margaret, can you post a link to your eBay items? Also, do you know if there is a similar program in the US?

There is a group that have already started fundraising for this project, and I have spent the last few days putting donated Cavalier King Charles Spaniel items on ebay.
There are some nice little models, books, pictures & some old Cavalier Club Yearbooks. Go and look, or put something up on ebay yourself & donate the money.

Margaret C

I would like to donate a percentage of my profits to SM research but as ebay takes 12 % of each sale from me I'd rather do it through my website.
If anyone buys anything from my site ( portrait comission or sculpture) please write "SM Research " on the payment notes & i'll donate 20 % of each sale

http://www.kc-pet-collectables.com/sculptures.html

Also any of us here on facebook can copy and paste the link on your wall space using the 'share link' button. :)

I would like to donate a percentage of my profits to SM research but as ebay takes 12 % of each sale from me I'd rather do it through my website.
If anyone buys anything from my site ( portrait comission or sculpture) please write "SM Research " on the payment notes & i'll donate 20 % of each sale

http://www.kc-pet-collectables.com/sculptures.html

That's great Angela, I just looked at your website, your sculptures are beautiful. I didn't realize you were so young, only 2 years older than my son.

Back