• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is this normal?

Steph1983

What is normal weight for a 4-5month old puppy? Im pretty sure she is 5.5lbs now. Is that normal weight. I like this weight but it seems small. I just got her and havent taken her to the vet yet.

Jasper was 7 pounds when we got him at 4 months old, and both the breeder and the vet said he was on the thin side. (He had some eating issues at first...long story.) He's now 14.4 pounds at 1 year old and looks very healthy.

I'm just not sure about your puppy's weight. It does seem a bit small to me, but it might depend more on the individual dog and his or her bone structure. Does she look healthy, or does she have that "skinny dog" look where you can see her ribs? Jasper definitely looked like a skinny dog.

They do go through a gangly stage starting around this age, so they look even skinnier than they really are. Jasper looked like he was all legs for awhile.

The vet should be able to tell you whether she's at a good weight or not. Congratulations on your puppy!

Lori

Hey
my pup sasha is 6 mths today and at last weigh in she was 5.5 kilos which is 12 lbs.
She looks good at that weight!Not too thin but not too big either.
Hope that helps

All pups will be different weights as the are all different sizes. You should be able to see a visible waist on her and feel but not see her ribs.

Well, it depends on whether she is 4 months or five months, first off. What did this puppy's breeder say her age is? You should have papers that clearly state her birthdate and registration. Even at 4 months, that would be very small at that age in this breed and at 5 months, would be worryingly small -- 8-12 week old puppies would often be around that weight.

I have a feeling that you might not have the weight quite right though as it is easy to guess too small or too large. It would be wise to get the puppy to the vet right away and get her weighed properly using a vet scales, and given a basic health check -- this should not be postponed with a new puppy but always, a priority for the first 48 hours that the new pup is home.

Did the breeder explain if this was a particularly small puppy? Did s/he explain why? It is just that very small size may indicate health and growth problems which is why you really do want to have her checked.

However I'd think you probably have simply underestimated her weight and she is larger and heavier and a normal size. (y)

I guess she is more like 5months. She was born in June. The breeder told me she weighs 5pounds 5oz. I will be taking her to the vet this week so I will she what they say. shes hasnt been a big eater since I got her. Although the breeder told me she had NO problems with eating. That was one of the questions I asked when I was told she had a bit of an overbite. I guess I wont really know untill I take her to the vet. She does look small and all legs but she looks healthy to me.

Back