• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Truth Behind Puppy on BBC1

Didn’t they mention that this breeder has been struck of or lost his licence about four years ago? He also said that he was not the breeder just a helping hand, but it was obvious that he was the breeder. They showed people who bought puppies from there and they died shortly after. Even if people have not heard about puppy farms, twenty-four years ago when I bought my first puppy (rescue) if I would have walked into a filthy horrible place like that I would have walked straight out again. I just can’t believe people buy from places like that.
I totally agree! And the breeder (or "lorry driver") was clearly a very unpleasant man who didn't even like dogs. He wasn't even trying to disguise what he was doing. Surely people would just walk into that place and think it didn't feel right...

I can't understand how people can buy a puppy having seen the conditions in which they were being kept.

When you consider that many people are not aware of puppy mills, and you think about it, it is easy to see. If someone goes to this place and sees the horrible conditions, they will, understandably feel pity and shock over the poor puppy and many would want to buy the puppy to "rescue" it. Being unaware of this huge, miserable industry out there in mass producing puppies, they just don't know they are supporting something like that. It is easy to see how they would think the place they have seen is an isolated case, and they have done something good for this one puppy, having NO idea they are dooming so many thousands of other puppies.

Just like many people are unaware of human trafficking (I even had a guy in one of my classes argue that there is no such thing, it is all made up and that if people are being exploited they are letting it be done willingly), many more are unaware of the problem of puppy mills.

I think most of the people who do buy from them don't like the conditions, but this guy put on such a hard sell and guilt trip that the potential customers may be pushed into a sale they're not comfortable with. The idea that you have caused contamination of a pup, so that it can no longer go back with its mother (which is what this guy was saying), is probably enough for people to go against their better judgement and buy the pup anyway. Even if this is rediculous. I'm sure most people can think of a time when they were pushed into buying or doing something that they're not comfortable, thanks to a heavy handed sales person.

When you consider that many people are not aware of puppy mills, and you think about it, it is easy to see. If someone goes to this place and sees the horrible conditions, they will, understandably feel pity and shock over the poor puppy and many would want to buy the puppy to "rescue" it. Being unaware of this huge, miserable industry out there in mass producing puppies, they just don't know they are supporting something like that. It is easy to see how they would think the place they have seen is an isolated case, and they have done something good for this one puppy, having NO idea they are dooming so many thousands of other puppies.

Just like many people are unaware of human trafficking (I even had a guy in one of my classes argue that there is no such thing, it is all made up and that if people are being exploited they are letting it be done willingly), many more are unaware of the problem of puppy mills.

In a way I can see your point. I keep fish and I do belong to a Forum. On there you read over and over again that people bought fish because they felt sorry for the fish as the Shop was keeping the fish in completely the wrong conditions or the fish was looking thin and lonely. Different animal same outcome.

Back