• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bad Amber strikes again...

Lisa_T

... and nearly gets herself killed in the process.

You see, my gate has a hideously stiff lock - so much so that once the slider has been put fully across, it requires some effort to shift it. This is a good thing. The problem is that because it is so difficult, it's easy to be tempted to stop pushing at it as soon as the slider 'catches'. Trouble is, if it's windy (like today) the just-caught lock can work loose and another blast will swing the gate open!

So, as you've no doubt guessed, Miss Amber took advantage of this and was off and away. It took me a few minutes to realise - I'd glanced at the gate and registered that it was closed, but didn't check the lock ... when I did, I quickly dumped Holly and Alanna in their respective crates/pens and RAN. I live next to two major roads.... Thankfully, thankfully!! Amber chose to go left instead of right, or she would definitely have been a goner. At that time this particular road is not too bad. People in the street guessed from my mad hair, dressing gown, and tears that I was looking for her and helpfully pointed me down the street. I saw her on the opposite side of the road sniffing around a bin (little scavenger) and freaked in case she saw me and tried to run... so (can't believe I did this) I shouted for the traffic to stop and it did. Ran across and picked her up and went home, shaking all the way.

She's fine. I'm still a bit shocked and prone to the odd tear.

That gate is going to be triple checked in future!

Oh my! Bless you both because that was a close call! Thank goodness for garbage!

I know just the panicked feeling you are describing because Daisy has gotten away a couple of times and she used to be so car obsessed that I knew she would purposefully throw herself under the wheels of the first oncoming car. Thankfully she's pretty much over that now, but if she got out, I would still panic.

They're little buggers arent they!! Glad you got her safe. :rah:

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago.. hubby forgot to bolt our gate and she escaped but luckily a neighbour a few doors down picked her up and phoned me. I was in tears then!

These things happen so quickly - nothing so tempting to a Cavalier as an open gate sadly :( - and they have such a love for life, they can't believe that anything could harm them.

Thank goodness Amber is safe - sadly a few people on the board have not been so lucky, so these incidents are always a reminder to us all to be ever alert.

thank goodness! That is so scary. I had a cocker mix as a child who used to run away if he got loose, and I had many a scare with cars as I spent sometimes an hour or more trying to catch him. THankfully we lived in a big neighborhood, not on a major road. Not even STEAK would lure him when he got in this mode. so, I do know what you are talking about. So glad she is safe!

Thank you all. Feel a bit better now and Miss Amber is none the worse.

Nicki, it was actually rremembering reading something here about someone calling their dog/the dog seeing them from the other side of the road and then running across under the wheels of a car that made me tell the traffic to stop. And then I was glad that Amber seemed a bit freaked out by the whole experience and didn't think "oh I;m being chased, what a lovely game..." - because as luck would have it, she had neither collar nor harness on as they don't wear them in the house!

What a frightening experience Lisa - I suspect you are still a nervous wreck.

Merlin and Oakley send Amber naughty girl kisses for being okay and they will be having doggy words with her!

Glad to hear Amber is alright, the little scamp! You must have gotten an awful fright :hug::hug:

Glad to hear Amber is ok! I'll bet you'll take longer to get over this...sending hugs.

Back