• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Picky Eater??

vgaffney83

My 6 month old Cavalier puppy has started acting like he's not interested in eating. I thought maybe he wasn't getting enough exercise so I started walking him longer and more often...no change. His activity level is the same as far as his personality and his playing habits and no changes in potty or anything, just doesn't seem interested. I feed him Wellness Puppy. I'm thinking of switching to Wellness Adult and see if he likes that better. Any ideas?

My dog was like that too, of course she started out that way as a pup, and Cavs can be notorious for being picky eaters.

I kept switching dog foods and she kept refusing to eat and losing weight, having every possible medical test done, yet stayed healthy and active. One vet threatened to call the SPCA for starving her.

In the end I consulted a holistic vet who made her a diet I cook myself. she's been happy and well on that for years now.
I'd try switching dog foods first, but if all else fails go see a dog nutritionist, I think the holistic is best as they are less apt to just push dog food.

hope that helps
Jennifer

tbh Peaches was the same, i was giving a bag of Burn's food when she came and she turned her nose up, but she loves her james wellbeloved and chappie.

i'm not sure if i am being any help but i just thought it would help that your not alone.

Thanks guys....I took him off of the puppy and started him on the adult formula. He seems to like that better and I think he's just a self regulator. I'm keeping a close eye on him though so his weight doesn't become an issue!

Don;t free feed, whatever you do. Give him his portion, put it down, give him 10 or 15 minutes to eat, and at the end of that time, lift the remainder, if any, without comment. No food or treats til the next scheduled feeding. If you start to make a big deal out of mealtimes your dog will learn that not eating gets him lots of attention and new foods -- more fun than eating!. There's more info in the Library section. :)

It's always amazing to me to hear of dogs that are picky eaters. My four will eat whatever you put in front of them, whenever it's offered. The only thing Oliver doesn't like is cantalope. They never complain when I switch their food. They just put their faces in their bowls and inhale it without stopping. I'd be surprised if they even tasted what they're eating! Needless to say, I have to carefully monitor their intake or I would have four little tubbos!!!

Maybe adding other foods to his diet like veggies and meat might make him more interested in eating?

It's always amazing to me to hear of dogs that are picky eaters. My four will eat whatever you put in front of them, whenever it's offered.

Same with my two, they will eat whatever, whenever...I've never seen dogs as excited to eat as my boys. As soon as they know they're about to be fed they jump and spin around and do a little hyper dance, it's really cute :)

One of my dogs was such a picky eater when he was a puppy! I didn't even want dogbiscuits, the treats had to be something VERY tasty like cheese, dried fish, hot dogs.. and so on. I had to feed him from my hands or play with him by throwing the kibbles so he could run after them and have fun. But one day, he finally started eating regularly, when he had grown up a little :)

My little one goes through phases of being a picky eater - she's in one at the moment. They don't usually last long though, as at heart, she's quite greedy, and she does actually like her food. I think she's just testing us to see if she'll get anything else. We don't leave the food down too long if she won't eat, as our golden retriever will happily eat anything that's left unattended. He's a great motivator for her - if she's refusing to eat, and he heads towards her bowl, that's usually enough to make her race over to it, and eat it before he can... :razz:

Back