• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How Long For A Walk?

Shivers

Hi all,

I was just wondering how long or how far do you walk you dogs for? Belle is 4 so doesnt run around like a puppy so its hard to tell if her walk is too long or not.
In the morning early she gets a short walk (about 10-20 mins depending on which of us takes her) thats just to let her do the relevant business and stretch her legs. In the evenings we all take her for her long walk together but the walk we have been doing is about 1.5km (approx 45 mins - 1 hour). Is this too long? She seems pretty tired after it but not panting or anything.

In spring, summer and fall we're out and about alot--2 or 3 or 4 thirty minute walks. Now that winter has set in here in PA, they're lucky if they get a 10 min. afternoon walk.:p Although we do alot of running around the yard.

Im just so paranoid that we could be exhausting her. We would also take her along if we were walking to the local shop.
See, the thing is we dont have a garden just a large balcony but no way she would go out there anyway. She doesnt seem to like being left outside on her own so she is just in the house all the time except when we walk her.

We would have our two out for about an hour usually, not at an exceptionally fast pace... I suppose we'd cover in the region of 4km. Our dogs don't complain :D We also tend to bring them with us wherever we're going at the weekends (as in to visit family or day trips etc). Dogs like to walk. And what do they say?? A tired dog is a good dog ;)

Daisy gets about 45/50 mins through the woods most mornings at 7 am and maybe 20 mins around 10.30 pm around the village. If she's tired in the mornings she'll just ignore my husband and burrow back down to bed.
sins

Scooby is now 9 months and he would run all day if he could!
I take him out at sunrise for about 30 to 45 minutes and then an hour before dusk we walk and if possible he plays with other dogs in the park until it gets dark.
Does it seem to most people that it depends on the dog? I expected a fairly lazy dog but Scooby is very energetic and walks further than my friend's two year old Dalmation without pausing for a break.
I think an hour of walking is a great walk for a four year old dog - the morning walk may be a bit short but it depends on Belle and how eager she is to get home for breakfast :).

i take junior for about a 20 minuite walk when i do does him nicely he seems to want to eat and sleep afterwards :) but then thats junior .. EAT and SLEEP !!

Mindy will be 11 in February. We go for only about 10 minutes in the morning but if the weather is nice we'll walk for about 45 minutes to an hour before supper. Now winter is here that will be somewhat curtailed. I let her set the pace. On the weekends our morning walk is about 20 minutes.

We go for two 10 minute walks (first thing am/last thing pm) and then two 20-30 min. walks (lunchtime/before dinner). I'd go longer if it was up to me, but Lady is a couch potato in general and seems to get pretty pooped if we go for too long on a single walk. Of course, she can go much longer when it's cold than when it's hot outside. In hot weather, if we're going for a longer walk, we bring the portable water bowl and bottle of water for breaks.

A 4 year old dog is young -- unless she has health problems of some sort, she could probably go for another two hours and tire YOU out. :lol: I walk my 9.5 year old girl for a mile or so regularly, and she has no problem keeping up. Jaspar could easily do several miles -- as can just about any fit dog. And at a much faster pace than us slowpoke humans -- we hold them back from a normal dog pace, which is a good trot. I've also run Jaspar on an agility course over and over during a 2-3 hour afternoon demo, and once all the collies were too tired to go on :lol:, he was happy to do several more runs for fun, then for kids who didn't get a chance to see all the dogs doing agility last summer at the Malahide Fun Day. :rolleyes: I've walked him, played fetch for a half hour, played fetch while he swims to retrieve for a half hour, then walked for an hour, and more fetch, and he still is ready to go. If anyone wants to come over and give Jaspar a few more miles of walks each day to see if it is actually possible to completely tire him out at age 5, be my guest!

I have been keep an eye on this since I wrote my OP and I have come to the conclusion that she is not lazy or exhausted she is just bloody nosy! :rolleyes: We have to stop to examine every blade of grass and tree we pass not to mention other dogs (my son said she's an awful flirt ;)). I think that is why the walk seemed so slow. Hopefully we will get to the big park near where we live over the weekend where there are loads of lovely dog walkers and she can have a whale of a time :dogwlk:

Back