• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gabapentin/Proton Pump Inhibitor

Tania

Molly is on Gabapentin twice daily, the vet has suggest in 4 weeks time she is put on a proton pump inhibitor. Everything I have read suggests
this is only used short term, has anyone used it and does it help?

When you consider the short lifespan of a dog in comparison to a human, it shouldn't be a problem to put a dog having SM on a proton pump inhibitor. Omeprazole (Prolisec) or Cimetidine (Tagamet) will lower the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) pressure and could actually slow the growth of syrinxes. Geordie's neurologist and Charlie's neurosurgeon prescribed Omeprazole.

When you're administering Omeprazole and Gabapentin (Neurontin), they should be given 2 hours apart.

Cimetidine (Tagamet) has interactions with other drugs including antibiotics, so your vet will need to look the drugs up every time something else is prescribed.

Our Geordie is taking both Gabapentin and Omeprazole. You can really see the difference when it's time for another dose. I think both drugs are helping to keep him comfortable. (y)

Gababapentin/Proton Pump

Thank you for this, we have been told we will be lucky to have
Molly for more than a couple of months if that. How severe is Geordie?

Please accept my apology for missing this post. It was Thanksgiving and we hosted.

I'm so sorry to hear this about Molly, and I hope the proton pump inhibitor gave her some additional relief. :hug: Hugs to you - it is so difficult. :flwr:

Geordie's SM is moderate. His syrinx (C1-C2) that we know about was found on a CT scan when he was diagnosed with PSOM, so he never had an MRI and therefore we don't know any other details. Outwardly his signs are neck scratching, occasional left-twisting gait, and sometimes forming a C-shape with his body due to discofort/sensations, but he has never cried out in pain. With Gabapentin and Omeprazole around the clock, he is nearly normal.

I saw a huge improvement in Ilsa as soon as we added omeprazole. She was so much happier, more active and yelped a lot less.

I am concerned about side effects as well, but the benefits are worth it. I'm thinking of getting an ultrasound on her stomach every 6 months or so, just to be sure.

good luck

Jen and Ilsa

Back