• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM and lameness

Ruth M

Hi -can anybody offer some advice. Tilly is becoming increasingly lame in her front left leg - so much so that she is sometimes finding it difficult to get up after a nap. When in sit she usually hovers this leg off of the ground - she has a definite limp when in slow walk but in 'trot' and run you can hardly tell she is lame.
She was 2 last week - with early onset SM "pointing of cerebellum due to overcrowded caudal fossa, large syrinx throughout cervical, thoracic and lumbar spinal cord" - from MRI report.
I know the gabapentin is for pain relief (shes on 100 mg x3) - but shouldn't this help with the debilitating lameness?
Also - could anybody recommend a neurologist in the Buckinghamshire area?
Many thanks - Ruth M

My girl was very lame on her front left leg for a while , painkillers didnt make a difference. it was this that led to the vet suggesting sm.
At a later appointment the vet pulled her leg about a bit & she danced out of the surgery with no limp . It didnt come back either.
I think perhaps with her having poor control of her legs due to the sm she maybe twisted it & the vet popped it back into place.

my cavalier ezme is limping on the front left leg aswell so i'm going to ask the vet to have a look at her.

Last edited:
To me, it sounds like it's hurting her as she is lifting it when she sits. I would ask the vet. Maybe she needs a week or two of Rimadyl to take down some inflammation and extra pain relief.

Lameness

Hi

Molly was diagnosed with sm only last week. Upto this point she was very lame in her front left leg, she was suffering nerve pain from her neck to her elbow. Previcox helped. she is now on Garbapentin as well. We went to the Fitzpatrick referral clinic in the Guildford area which isn't too far from Bucks. We are going to see Dr. Rusbridge on Wednesday in Wimbledon.

My girl was very lame on her front left leg for a while , painkillers didnt make a difference. it was this that led to the vet suggesting sm.
At a later appointment the vet pulled her leg about a bit & she danced out of the surgery with no limp . It didnt come back either.
I think perhaps with her having poor control of her legs due to the sm she maybe twisted it & the vet popped it back into place.

my cavalier ezme is limping on the front left leg aswell so i'm going to ask the vet to have a look at her.
AT, I wonder if her shoulder was dislocated?

Charlie had poor control of his legs due to permanent neurological damage from severe SM, and I thought his shoulders might be dislocated.... none of the many vets and neurologists who cared for him did anything about it though.

AT, I wonder if her shoulder was dislocated?

Charlie had poor control of his legs due to permanent neurological damage from severe SM, and I thought his shoulders might be dislocated.... none of the many vets and neurologists who cared for him did anything about it though.

Perhaps.
She was lame on her left leg for quite a while , to the point she needed a pushchair for walks
she was never very well contructed , she was very out at the elbows as a pup & at the end of her life was very low at the front & her back dipped because she had very little muscle & poor neurological reflexes

Back