Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: advice on Gabapentin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by *Pauline* View Post
    I don't see that there would be any reason to make it into a liquid for a dog, these capsules are easy to administer, I just wrap the capsule in a tiny bit of ham.
    Sometimes compounding pharmacists will do that because they can add flavorings, etc. It might actually be less expensive to make up a liquid than to fill capsules, and then the dosage could be changed easier with a liquid if the vet wants to find the right dosage. But a regular pharmacist wouldn't do it; just a compounding pharmacist; a veterinary neurologist in the US is more likely to send patients to one.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Moon View Post
    It might actually be less expensive to make up a liquid than to fill capsules, and then the dosage could be changed easier with a liquid if the vet wants to find the right dosage.
    Oh I see, that makes sense. Thanks Cathy.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

the medication was something directly from the neurologist's office - maybe it is a special mix. Annie was taking temaril (has some prednisone) in it and her scratching all but dissapeared. They could not do an MRI Wednesday because of the holdiay so there was no diagnosis. The plan is to treat symptoms, and if pain develops (there doesn't appear to be any at this time), or things worsen or change then I am to come in for a MRI.

So maybe the gabapentin does not have the dangerous component to dogs. I will certainly ask them on Monday.
    Martha
    Annie's mom

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to add my two cents to liquid gabapentin. Sadie is on liquid gabapentin, but it is compounded by our local pharmacy. When I first had the prescription filled, I asked the pharmacist whether it would contain xylitol, and it did not. Xylitol is included only in human doses as a sweetener so it will be easier to take, and does not usually get included in compounded ones. That's what my pharmacist said they do anyway. Sadie's gabapentin is flavored with chicken and she loves it. The reason our neuro chose the liquid for her was because he felt he would be needing to tweak her dosage and he was right. When she first got it, it was too strong for her and she walked like a drunk! We cut it back from 1 ml to .75 ml the first week and she could handle it much better. After a few weeks she worked up to 1 ml. She recently went up to 1.25ml twice a day to manage her symptoms.

Good luck! And keep us posted on how Annie is doing and what you find out on Monday!
    -Teri
    Mom to Joey and Sadie (9 yr old Blenheims)
    Washington State, USA

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know, thank you Teri
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Update - I called the nuerologist and the Gabapentin does contain xylitol ! But her vet tech said the amount is so small Annie would never consume enough to hurt her. They did say they would call in another RX to a compounding pharmacy here in FW so it can be made without Xylitol. I will have them call it in, but it is expensived and frustrating to have to pay for another bottle. Annie will also need something for her stomach to help her since she threw it up the first time.

I put her back on the temaril and she doesn't scratch at all. When I get the new medicine I will coordinate switching her to the gabapentin with my regular vet. Annie is happy, playful and fun. She acts like nothing is wrong with her and I pray she will continue this way for a long time.
    Martha
    Annie's mom

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why they won't just give you the dry capsules. What dose is she on?
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'