• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan's story got into Dog World.

*Pauline*

I wrote briefly about how the BBC documentary Pedigree Dogs exposed helped me realize that Dylan had SM. It was a very kind gesture on the part of Norma Inglis who writes the Breed Notes to add my story despite our ups and downs. It's in the paper now or you can see it online here: (near the end)

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/Breeds/BreedNotes/48-CAV

Well done Pauline.

It was through watching this same programe that we realised our elderley shih tzu had shown some symptoms of SM since we first got him at 6 months.

Sadly he had been put to sleep a few months before aged 14. If we knew then what we know now, he wouldn't necessarily have lived much longer, but he would at least have been better understood, and any pain he was expert as masking would have been alleviated.

You did really well to get your point across that this programe, in actually showing the symptoms, helped educate the public, and from then on we pet owners knew just what to look for.

well said, Pauline. You and Dylan have been great spokes"persons" for this condition and have put a face to it instead of just a list of symptoms.

Well done Pauline.

It was through watching this same programe that we realised our elderley shih tzu had shown some symptoms of SM since we first got him at 6 months.

Sadly he had been put to sleep a few months before aged 14. If we knew then what we know now, he wouldn't necessarily have lived much longer, but he would at least have been better understood, and any pain he was expert as masking would have been alleviated.

You did really well to get your point across that this programe, in actually showing the symptoms, helped educate the public, and from then on we pet owners knew just what to look for.

I have just read Beverley Cuddy's Blog on the Dogs Today website.
The Pedigree Dogs Exposed documentary has been nominated for a top award.

"Groundbreaking TV documentary Pedigree Dogs Exposed has been shortlisted for Documentary of Year at the Broadcast Awards which will be announced at the Grosvenor in January.

Here's the whole of the field:

Best Documentary Programme
A Boy Called Alex, C4
America Unchained, More 4
My Street, C4
Pedigree Dogs Exposed, BBC1
Sex Change Soldier, C4
Undercover in Tibet, C4

Congratulations to Jemima and all the team at Passionate Productions."

Margaret C

That's great news Margaret.

I've just noticed my text has been slightly edited from,

"Dylan had two other issues, firstly inflamed ears which is often attributed to allergies, followed by conjunctivitis."

To,

"Dylan had two other issues – inflamed ears that are often attributed to allergies and conjunctivitis."

He didn't have conjunctivitis and I didn't notice, this was 2 or more weeks after the ears.

Well done Pauline, yes you have had your ups and downs on Dog World (to put it mildly) and it was nice of Norma Inglis to include your side of the story. Just seen your correction on Dog World.
I think you are doing a great job of sharing Dylans story and hopefully making more people aware of SM symptoms, even when you get knocked for six you still voice your opinions (y).

Well done Pauline, yes you have had your ups and downs on Dog World (to put it mildly) and it was nice of Norma Inglis to include your side of the story. Just seen your correction on Dog World.
I think you are doing a great job of sharing Dylans story and hopefully making more people aware of SM symptoms, even when you get knocked for six you still voice your opinions (y).

What I meant was Norma and I had had our ups and downs, so it's especially nice of her to give me a voice. :)

Well done Pauline! Your article was clear, concise and to the point, and gives a voice to affected Cavaliers everywhere. This information will hopefully lead to improved breeding protocols for future generations of our beloved breed.

Back