• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

what kinds of veggies do you give to your cav?

mounie

Hello dear friends, i was wondering about veggies for our cavaliers, which ones do they like mostly, and which ones are the most healthy?
Greetings from Italy
Chiara

Raw Vegetables

When Molly was a puppy she had carrotts (sweet ones) and brocolie stalks to chew on, she also like green beans. However, if you are considering using raw vegetables as part of the diet, dogs cannot digest the cellulose in raw whole vegetables. If you puree them their digestive system can make good use of the nautual vitamins and antitoxidants. We had a weight problem with Molly, we tried all sorts of commercial foods but they didn't agree with her. We now feed her mainly, cauliflower a little cabbage, carrotts, butternut squash, apple and pear fresh everyday pureed with some chicken. We also use supplements to make sure she gets everything. If you arethinking of going this route, it would be best to get some professional advice. For treats we use Dried Carrots and dried sweet potatoes theyboth love them. Plus sweet apple and Pear.

Not sure about which ones are the most healthy, but our dogs love baby carrots as treats! We also add frozen green beans to their food to add bulk, as one of mine needs to watch their waistline and so I took out a bit of kibble and added in more green beans. They just love their food and eat the green beans with no hesitation whatsoever. Hope this helps!

Mine love green beans, baby carrots, broccoli and peas...they prefer them whole as opposed to pureed, so I make sure I'm able to sneak in some pureed vegetables into their diet too...

I feed mine the frozen mixed vegetables right from the freezer. They both pick our the green beans and leave them on the floor but love the rest of them, even the peas. I just mix it in with their kibble and that allows me to cut down on the amount of kibble.

Jane Mom to Alex

Hi

As stated on many previous posts my three girls all get vegetables ,IE green beans ,carrot and broccoli ,but in varying amounts and Poppy gets by far the most as she is the one with the weight problem. So is it correct to say that as I feed them raw (I do defrost them as I think frozen would be a bit harsh on their tummies ?) that apart from acting as a filler (which is why I use them) they actually derive no goodness/benefit out of them unless I puree them ?. I notice out of the three veg I feed they do not seem to prefer one above the other and that some Cavs are fed mixed veg ,so apart from what I feed what other vegetables could I introduce to them to add a bit more variance in texture and flavour and maybe different vitamins .I can definitely confirm they don't take after me or my just younger brother Stephen as neither of us would eat any veg when we where young kids apart from the odd pea but certainly not things like cabbage or cauliflower or sprouts ,come to think we don't touch them now ,Mum was much too soft on us. :p

Last edited:
:confused:Hi
Just bouncing this post back to the top ,as I would like some advice on my previous question pls ref uncooked veg.:confused:

Hi Brian.
Im sure i have seen a previous post on this and it was mentioned that some give their dogs green beans frozen....i do it also and have never had any of my girls be sick or have a sore tummy.:p
As soon as our freezer door is opened both girls sit and beg for some green beans....not really my cup of tea but my oldest cav only has to look at dog food or treats and the weight goes straight onto her!:rolleyes: Its such a shame....she has 100 g of food JWB split into 7am and 4pm feed and some veg for the rest of the day when she appears hungry.
I have actually cooked some peas carrots and green beans for my 2 tonite....so hopefully they wil be fine for them too.

Hi Brian,

I don't know for sure, but I would assume that veggies would have the same nutritional value normally as if you were to puree them. Maybe someone on this board knows for sure? If you feed a good kibble food, then it should already be nutritionally balanced so I wouldn't think you'd need to worry about them getting all their vitamins through the veggies. But I'll be interested to hear what other veggies are being fed to their Cavaliers for variety. I have heard for many years that in general frozen veggies have more nutritional value than canned, but fresh has more nutrition than frozen.

While I use frozen green beans, I defrost them as well. I mentioned they were frozen just to mean that they weren't fresh or canned. Although, we do use fresh green beans when we have them in season two months of the year. And I use fresh raw baby carrots as treats (and Cheerios) all year long. Hope this helps! :)

Hi Terri

Many many thanks for your kind advice but what i cant get my head round Tania is telling us that unless we cook or puree our veg the dogs derive no goodness out of them ,so is that right and if so do i then treat them only as fillers.

Celery

My golden oldie Dan has always enjoyed celery, raw or cooked. Following a recent visit to the vet I'm delighted to say his heart is sound and he is in great health.:) The chicken and rice chappie (canned) has been the food of convenience since adulthood which has always suited him - he is 12.5 now.

Spaniels do enjoy some variation in their diet and fish, chicken and all the vegetables mentioned have been favourites. Dan likes cooked veggies, but raw carrots are crunched enthusiastically along with the raw celery.

...but what i cant get my head round Tania is telling us that unless we cook or puree our veg the dogs derive no goodness out of them ,so is that right and if so do i then treat them only as fillers.

Hi Brian,

Tania is correct...dogs cannot efficiently breakdown the cellulose that surrounds plant cells. Omnivores and herbivores have evolved ways to break down the this cell wall (special bacteria in their multichambered stomach, or flat molars that grind and pulverize the plant matter.) Dogs, being carnivores* can only utilize the nutrients in plant matter if we help them break down the cell wall (by cooking or pureeing.) So, you're not hurting your pup by giving him some occasional raw veggies but he hasn't been getting much in the way of nutrition from it either.

*While it's true dogs are not obligate carnivores like cats, their anatomy and digestive tracts are much more like carnivores than omnivores.

Back