• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Winter sweaters and jackets

Love my Cavaliers

How many of you who live in climates where it gets cold put sweaters and/or jackets on their dogs? I live in the suburbs of Chicago and winter can be downright cold, nasty, and snowy, but I have never put a sweater on any of my dogs. I'm wondering if I should be though. Also, if you use a sweater or jacket when they're playing in the snow, is there one that will keep the snowballs off? Thanks,

I have never used a sweater or jacket but I did buy a jacket for Mindy because we are going to class in an unheated barn and I thought she seemed cold. The only time we've used it for a walk the snow (which was pretty deep) worked it's way between her jacket and her coat so I figured that defeated the purpose. I probably won't use it again in the snow but if she's going to be just standing around where there isn't a concern of her getting wet I'll probably put it on her.

I live in Ontario and it gets pretty cold but we don't spend a lot of time outdoors when it's too cold.

I just ordered Belle a sweater and a coat because she is a bit on the small side and we are getting a very cold winter so far this year. It hasnt arrived yet so ill try it on her when we go for our walk and see what she thinks.

My 2 dogs both have a jumper and a coat each.
I live in Scotland and it is freezing at the moment....actually we have snow where i am!:p
I sometimes have to put my pups jumper on during the day as she gets really shivery even though my heating is on all day and every night...hubby cant believe i leave the heating on for the dogs!His response"they have fur!"
The other reason mine wear them is when I take them to trails at the weekend my adult cav ends up bringing back half a tree all stuck in her fur....she has really long hair.Really she needs an all in one from ankles upwards as i spend nearly an hour or 2 trying to cut them out when i get home and she is not a happy doggy!
I dnt see a problem with the dogs wearing the jumper/coats.

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, CAN. Although a beautiful city, we get polar extremes in terms of our weather here. Winter is downright nasty a lot of the time. I'm determinded to continue daily walks with Maisy as much as possible so I went searching for the warmest dog coat I could find.

The K9 Topcoat Kodiak was my choice as it is light weight yet very warm. The site (http://www.k9topcoat.com/product.asp?specific=168)
quotes "This coat was tested tough at the 2006 Iditarod Sled Dog Race. It it works there--it will work anywhere.".

I haven't used it yet but I can tell you this ...it better keep my dog warm because with the exchange rate and shipping it cost me a fortune. I spent way more on her coat than I spent on my own!

Kirra wears a wax coat - when it is stormy/raining - and it is excellent and many folk are impressed.

Kirra loves to wear the coat - always waits until the coat is in place before setting to the outer door :)

She also is waiting for a coat that 'Fifer' of Spaniel Trust is making for her - and I just know it will be wonderful in the winter - which can be quite harsh here on our wee isle.

She also loves to be dried off with her warm towel - which is waiting on the radiator on our return. And of course groomed - after all she is an 'Irish Princess' :lotsaluv:

I will put a little sweater on sasha if it's really freezing, like below 30 degrees, and we will be taking a walk or being outside for more than a few minutes.

She seems to like the pullovers.... she runs away from the ones w/ velcro (i had to return those). I suppose the noise alarms her.

Lady actually prefers the velcro ones - I think because they go on and off more easily. She has a fleece coat to wear when it's below freezing and/or there is a lot of cold wind, and she seems to feel pretty smart in it as her tail wags higher and harder when it's on!

I have a sweater and a coat and Alex does not mind either. In fact he gets as excited by the coats as he does by the leash. My problem is with the boots I got. He just stands there in them and looks like I have hurt him or something. When he does try to walk, he can't stand up. Do they take a long time in getting used to? I even tried to get him used to having something on his feet by putting on baby socks and he acted the same. The 1st pair I thought were a little short so I exchanged them for a larger pair and I know these are plenty big enough. Anyone else have this problem?

Jane, Mom to Alex,

I am not one for dressing dogs. I will do so for an occasional picture for a calendar. I do put coats on them when it is really cold.

Mindy doesn't care for her coat. I think I'll try it again when it's cold but there is no snow. I figure with the snow getting trapped inside and melting it probably defeats the purpose of a coat anyway. Her internal temperature seems to have changed as she has aged. When we first got her we lived in a mllder but damper climate. She could never seem to get warm enough even in the house. Now I have a hard time convincing her to stay out in the yard with me in the summer - she prefers the air conditioning inside but once the weather cools she loves being out.

I never understood why people dressed their dogs until I had Hali and she is a "freezy cat". We live in the Midwest and the weather is quite bad. I purchased her a Puppia winter coat, a Puppia rain coat (fall when cold and rainy) and a sweat shirt all from Puppia. I like the people quality of the product. She wears these items when going for a walk or potty.

Mindy does have a raincoat that she doesn't mind wearing when it's raining hard. She doesn't like being wet.

interesting that you guys would be talking about this. I am a newbie to the Cav world. I have a Golden...and I used to have a Scottie (RIP)...anyway...I have never seen the need to put a coat on a dog. Both would run in the snow and roll around...never a care...But, now with McCoy (4 month old tri color) he seemd to really shiver, even just riding in the car with me. and it hasn't even gotten that cold here yet. So, are Cavs more sensitive to the cold...or just mine? I have been thinking of getting him a coat...:paw:

K4teacher;

We also have a 2 1/2 yr. old golden and an almost 5 mo. blenheim. The latter's breeder said that she doesn't need a coat. Since it gets quite cold and damp here on Cape Cod; thought that I'd wait to see how she reacts to weather.

Heather R

We have a jacket for Murphy, we put it on if it's really, really cold, or if it cold and wet. I don't think he really minds either way, it's probably for my peace of mind, rather than him being cold:rolleyes:

interesting that you guys would be talking about this. I am a newbie to the Cav world. I have a Golden...and I used to have a Scottie (RIP)...anyway...I have never seen the need to put a coat on a dog. Both would run in the snow and roll around...never a care...But, now with McCoy (4 month old tri color) he seemd to really shiver, even just riding in the car with me. and it hasn't even gotten that cold here yet. So, are Cavs more sensitive to the cold...or just mine? I have been thinking of getting him a coat...:paw:
Sasha had a very thin coat when she was less than a year old, and she seemed so vulnerable... I just felt like if it was below freezing and we'd be outside for more than 5 or 10 minutes, a sweater would be good. I also kept a little fleece blanket in the car too.

Now her coat is alot thicker so she doesn't seem to need a sweater as much.
If it's bitter cold and we'll be in the car, I will put a sweater on her. She seems to like it! (I still have the blanket in the car :) )

My doggies both have all kinds of different coats and sweaters and most recently - rain coats :p

I find that they have too much hair to let them go out and get a bajillion snowballs in it - snowballs create tangles, and my dogs HATE me brushing out tangles - ;) They also get all wet and then take forever to dry out - add that to the brrrr factor, and I keep them in coats during the winter time! I also have muttluks boots for them because I don't want them hurting their paws from the salt :)

Good luck!

Miles wears a coat when it's really cold out, he doesn't mind wearing one at all. I bought it at Sam & Willy's in Chicago (Lakeview), they have a great selection!

2250383135_8ea657626b.jpg

Here's the sweater he used to wear before we got him his coat, Truman will probably wear this sweater this winter since he has a much thicker coat than Miles and doesn't need anything too heavy.

2158829348_143beaa297.jpg

I need to buy Truman a pair of boots, their little paws were so cold when I walked them yesterday morning. I should have put Miles' Muttluks on him, but I didn't think he needed them yet...I was wrong, and I ended up carrying him home :eek:

thanks...for the thoughts, all...McCoy's coat does seem thin...right now, with him being so young...and no hair to speak of on his tummy...I think I will go ahead and get him a little coat!:dogwlk:

Back