Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A holly jolly cavalier Christmas! board recommendations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi all:

I thought it would be fun to do a thread on board member recommendations for holiday gifts either for dogs or dog-related items for people, based on some of the things we like best ourselves. These would be personal recommendations and might give others ideas on what to buy for themselves or their dogs or for someone with a dog.

If you have a link to an item, include that, or you can recommend a site too.

Here are my recommendations:

For home:

The Dyson DC16 handheld vacuum. I love, love, love this -- pricier than other handhelds, but it runs for 5-6 minutes on a single charge which means it doesn't poop out in the middle of cleaning. I can do my entire stairs with this plus some. It has the animal brush attachment too.

For walks:

Larz leash sets. These are the most comfortable and versatile lead sets you can buy and are simply the best for walking two to four dogs at once. You can make long or short leads, or multiple leads. I also have the belt for hands free walking. There's a wait as the sets are custom made but I cannot imagine being without this system for multiple dogs.

Toys

Wubbas -- they squeak and the flaps make funny noises when you shake them fast. And they float. Jaspar loves this toy.

Mini tennis balls. Petedge.com carries them and pet stores often have them as cat toys -- the size is just right for cavalier mouths. All mine love these little tennis balls.

Wooden puzzle intelligence games. These are lovely and very versatile. Great for smart dogs or any dog.

Cow milking machine 'farmers fingers' and 'doughnuts' for small dogs. These are a BIG favourite in my house -- they come from used milking machine parts! The doughnuts are soft and bouncy and Jaspar likes to catch them midair or they all like to chase them and retrieve in the house -- they are pretty furniture-safe for bouncing indoors.

Sites:

My favourites -- the toy section on Helping Udders is fantastic and the cavalier collar and lead sets are also very cute. You can designate part of your purchase price to benefit Lucky Star cavalier rescue too! I think HU has the BEST toys...

Zooplus (in Europe) for treats and toys and just about anything. I order tons of stuff from them.

Sitstay for great dog stuff, especially the book and video selection.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

British Home Stores do nice dog gifts, they have cute leg warmers for girls, only about £4 I think. OK, not practical but great for a photo session! I think there is a jumper to match too. They did this dog toy too which Dylan loves.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh, I must get one of those handheld dyson hoovers, looks like it would be a lot easier to hoover stairs, couches, chairs and beds. Hmm, the doglets can get me that for Christmas

Harnesses, leads and collars from Upcountry.com, really comfy harnesses, with no pulling over the head and they come in lovely patterns and colours. I got these recently and they are really good step-in harnesses.

Karlin wrote:
    Wooden puzzle intelligence games. These are lovely and very versatile. Great for smart dogs or any dog.
    These wooden puzzles from zooplus are great, got my gang the "dogsmart" last christmas, and they had great fun trying to figure out where the treat was hidden, I have ordered the "dogbrick" for this Christmas.

Hide-a-bird and hide-a-bee are another favourite

Kong little squeaker dog ball toys, got these from DogTrainingIreland.ie, great for playing fetch with little doggies

Bubble-making machine, makes peanutbutter and bacon flavoured bubbles, great fun in the garden, especially on a windy day

Meant to add these aswell
    Homecooked Christmas treats:

These are great to make for doggies for christmas

Homemade turkey and cheese cookies (small quantities of turkey and low fat cheese)
    Yogi turkey casserole (in Karlins recipe section)
    Last edited by amanda L; 2nd December 2008 at 06:25 PM.
    Amanda
    Owned by doglets Elliot the Opportunist and Duchess Millie Mischief

"We never really own a dog as much as he owns us" -Gene Hill-

Post Thanks / Like

thank you!!!! I've been searching for new gift ideas for a month!

I ordered some of the helping udders toys.
    Was wondering if you've tried the yak milk chews or organic knuckles.

May try those too!!!

Also, do dogs really like the intelligence games?

Jen

Post Thanks / Like

Also, do dogs really like the intelligence games?
    mine do, but its a game for you and your dog to work on together, you hide the treat under the peg, and they have to find it, I find even when I take out the box, they get all excited cause they know they are getting one on one training with you
    Amanda
    Owned by doglets Elliot the Opportunist and Duchess Millie Mischief

"We never really own a dog as much as he owns us" -Gene Hill-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For people who work and have just one dog the Kongtime Kong dispenser is great:

http://www.kongtime.com/

I used it for Lucky as a pup but it is not advised to use with multiple dogs, especially if they are food aggressive.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Thought to order one of the intelligence game and stymied by inability to plug in US as country-aargh. Emailed them but in meantime anyone know the avenue I should be taking as they do send to US ?

DO NOT SHIP/US
    Last edited by frecklesmom; 4th December 2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: more info
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the zooplus site had links to several international zooplus sites at the bottom, with the same products.
    click on the zooplus.com (may have even said US) at the bottom of the page when you use the link from here.
    Jen

Post Thanks / Like

Still no luck with that site however found a couple wooden kids educational toys that will work .
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frecklesmom View Post
    Still no luck with that site however found a couple wooden kids educational toys that will work .
    Intrigued by the kongtime, I clicked on the link and they listed some sites that carry it. One site, http://www.clickertraining.com/store...e=home_feature also has some puzzle games. I'm not sure they carry the exact same puzzle game as the one mentioned above, but they have a few that seem like they might be the same idea. Lady can't figure out how to use her buster food cube (despite my crawling on all fours pushing it around with my nose - she thinks I'm crazy!), but I'm thinking one of these puzzle toys might get the ball rolling and be a lot of fun in the process. Anyway, thought I'd pass this on. And if anyone has had any success with the food cube, please let me know!