• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier dog show

Mitch

Hi, was just wondering does anyone know when the next Cavalier King Charles Spaniels dog show is on in Dublin? We missed one that was on last June and the kids were really disappointed. We would love to take Benji along so he can meet his "relations". Thanks Michele:dogwlk:

I think the 'all cavalier show' is only held every year around june and as far as I know you can't take dogs unless you are showing them. If you look up The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel club Of Ireland you should find out more there or the irish kennel club

The next big show is just after Christmas -- I think the 26th or 27th -- and there will be cavaliers as well as all other breeds. Cavaliers are usually EARLY, one of the first breeds, so it is best to be out there for 8:30 or so! They are always almost completely gone by 10:30 or 11; the breeders do not stick around.

The dog shows definitely do not allow you to bring along pets and you will drive all the way only to be refused entry -- and it is not safe to leave a dog in the car as they have been stolen in the past from the huge parking area out at the show centre -- so leave dogs at home. (y)

:confused:Yes it was the "all cavalier" one I was interested in. I thought I could bring Benji along with us, didn't realise that would be a problem because we brought our last dog to a big show out near Swords and we had no problem bringing him in. My aunt shows in all the big competitions and she invited us along with Sparky. Do you think the rules have changed since then? Michele

You would have to talk directly to organisers about the all breed shows, but for the major shows at Swords, the rules very clearly have been not to bring pets for several years (at least four now) and they are much stricter on enforcing this. Maybe you attended well before this? One reason is it is so crowded (absolutely packed and indeed -- unpleasantly so for much of the first day of big shows, as far as I am concerned :eek: ) and can be very stressful to pet dogs. Also, really, there are enough dogs there already -- too many generally, as the space is so small (it always amazes me some of the smallies are not seriously injured when they are walked on leads through the crowds). Also visiting dogs can be unexpectedly reactive or noisy or difficult and you have to remember that people are there for competitions that are very important to them.

There are announcements now at the major shows that pets are not allowed, and signs at entry stating this very clearly.

Really, it is a much nicer day for everyone for pets to be left comfortably at home and for the competing dogs to be the focus of viewers. :)

There were definitely people turned away the last three years with pet dogs.

For a family dog day -- there are many fun days and fun shows around the country, where all dogs are welcome and these are great for a family day out with the dog. :) One is held in Bray every year, for example, and in Limerick, and I know there are quite a few others. Also, board folks do some regular cavalier get-togethers so that groups of cavaliers can meet up, which is a nicer and more relaxed occasion for pet dogs to mix with other cavaliers. Most of the show dogs are crated and the people showing have never seemed very happy to have pet dogs wandering around amongst them (actually some of the people showing often are not particularly friendly to begin with -- probably very focused on the ring! -- and often do not care for conversation either! :lol:).

Just checked the IKC website and the last all breed major show is on the 27th.

Thanks for all your advice. I do understand all the reasons you have mentioned why pets should not attend the shows. It's a pity but totally understandable. Will keep an eye out for any doggie "get-togethers" to bring Benji to. Thanks again. Michele :)

Back