• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Playing Rough

shippers

Sally (22mths) and Lois (9wks) are getting along great but I'm unsure how rough I should let them play. They run around the lounge growling and mouthing each other and jumping all over each other. Sally's tail is wagging all the time so I know she is not aggressive but I don't want to be getting Lois used to this play if I shouldn't. It doesn't last long maybe 15mins then they both fall asleep! When Lois has finished her injections she'll be able to go out with Sally to burn off excess energy in the fields but is it ok for them to play like this?

Yes, it is normal.

Just to mention again, a good manual like Dr Ian Dunbar's, which I mentioned before, would immediately answer questions like this for you. :)

Max plays very rough with Mindy too. Mindy plays for a bit but she only has so much patience. Max has learned which tones of her voice mean - "I'm not really serious" and which mean "Go away NOW". She also will go up or downstairs when she wants to be alone. Generally she is a pretty good sport and now lets him crawl all over her.

yep, completely normal. let them "have at it". Bandit and Lizzie appear to be fighting to the death. It is always in fun, but if someone gets too rough, the other lets them know and they take a pause.

My 2 can get a bit like that at times...all growling and barking at each other, mouthing one another, but their tails are wagging continually.
A few times one has yelped when the other has nipped but the immediately stop....have a kiss and then continue.
It drives my hubby crazy the noises they make.
As my pup is 6mths now there are alot less yelps!

Back